DirectAccess 2012 manage out with external load balancer
I have not see this question specific to Server 2012 yet, though it is similar to one i've seen for the UAG DA solution.... I have a requirement for a DA cluster, using external load balancers. The internal nework is IPv4 only. I see no way of enabling "manage out" in this scenario; According to the MSFT planning document, ISATAP is not supported, when using external load balancers. Other threads seem to suggest that you can set up an external ISATAP router, but this will only work to forward traffic to one or the other server (presuming a 2 server cluster). In this case, I understand that the ISATAP router itself needs to have IPv6 connectivity in any case. Has anybody out there any experiences with manage out with Server 2012 DA clusters using external load balancers? thanks
October 26th, 2012 6:35pm

Dave, I am currently working on a very similar setup. Basically our external LB also does not support ISATAP, so we went the external ISATAP router way. Essentially what you will need is your two DA servers as well as your ISATAP router to have native IPv6 connectivity using ULA before starting to setup ISATAP or going through the DA setup wizard. The following article I have found very helpful on the ISATAP portion, as it seems to work similar on W2012: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-server-2008/Configuring-ISATAP-Router-Windows-Server-2008-R2-Part2.html Once the router is up and running, advertising itself as router, publishing its known routes and forwarding (routing) traffic, you are good to go on the DA portion. Since the DA servers have preferred and pre-defined IPv6's, the wizard will prompt for the COrporate IPV6 prefix, as well as the range you want to assign to DA clients. Use a /59 mask for a load-balanced setup. You probably also need to define static IPv6 routes on the DA servers to the assigned ISATAP client range on the ISATAP router (as its nexthop). Hopefully this will help you, or anyone else working on this, a little further. Ray
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 4th, 2013 4:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics