Digital signing outlook message using smart card error
Hi, Return back with smart card problems. In this i am trying to digital sign outlook 2003 messages from smart card using Exchange signature only certificate and its purpose in request handling property is configured to signature and smart card logon . I got the certificate and i import it to smart card without the private key (since i am not allowed to export the private key). And i changed outlook settings to use this certificate : Tools->Options->Security->Settings->signing certificate(choose) i get the certificate . But when i tried to send digital signed message it asks me for the pin of the smart card and the give this error: " ! An error occurred in the underlying security system." Note: Sending digitaly signed message without smart card (by changing the purpose of Exchange signature only certificate from "signature and smart card logon to signature only") works correctly. Any help is appreciated.
July 14th, 2009 9:40am

Hi, Sending a digitally signed e-mail message first requires an e-mail client that supports S/MIME. Next, the e-mail client must be able to access the private key for the sender's signing certificate on the local machine or smart card to successfully sign the message. For more information, please refer to the article below. Digital certificates and digital signing of an e-mail message http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123848(EXCHG.65).aspx Please contact CA administrator to allow exporting private key to solve this issue. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 15th, 2009 12:25pm

Also I believe that you need to have the corresponding CSP which is being used by your smartcard installed on the other party's machine.
July 16th, 2009 12:32am

Thank you all for your answers.I will check it soon. And Sorry i didn't replay before because i was in vacation.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 17th, 2009 8:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics