Different Hard Drive Sizes

Hi there, 

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help. We are adding more storage to one of our exchange database drives as it is running out of storage space. I added the new space through Storage Manager. The drive was 1630GB in size and I increased it by 100GB to 1730GB and it displays as this on Storage Manager but when I go to Hyper V Manager and the settings for the Exchange server the hard drive displays as 1630GB and not the new size. 

When I go into the server itself I do not have any unallocated space either to make this drive bigger.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do with regards to getting my space back and increasing the drive on Exchange as I am currently missing 100GB somewhere.

Thanks, 

June 30th, 2015 5:29am

Hi David,

Try to increase it using the HyperV Settings of the VM. Are you using VHDX or something else.

Can you detail on the steps taken to add the additional

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2015 8:20am

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply. 

Please see steps of increasing the drive

went into Storage manager and selected the drive that i wanted to increase 

Selected increase capacity 

entered the 100GB of space I wanted to add to the existing drive

Storage Manager then added the 100GB to the existing drive 

After 5 minutes I went back to my Virtual Exchange server and restarted it 

Logged back in and went to disk manager to allocate the unallocated space but there was nothing there

I have done it the above way previously without any issues so not sure why it hasnt worked this time. 

June 30th, 2015 8:52am

Hi David,

Storage manager - What is this? Is it a SAN or Something from the Host Server.

How is the storage connected to the host first. Or is it directly connected to the VM, bypassing the host using

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2015 12:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics