Difference between a $ share and a normal share in Server 2008 R2?
What is the difference between an automatically created $ share and a normal share that's created manually, specifically with Server 2008 R2? I know that the $ shares are intended for admin purposes, are hidden, and cannot have their permissions adjusted. Is there some other difference in how they are protected by Windows? I am trying figure out why an application had trouble writing to a $ share. The scenario was that the application was configured to write data to a folder through this UNC path: \\SERVERNAME\$I, but would fail and say the UNC path was unavailable. After multiple tries it would eventually succeed. Since then a new share has been created, and is accessed by the app through \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME and the error has gone away. Any input is apprectiated! Thank you!
January 7th, 2011 1:03pm

Check the UNC path, it should be sharename$, not $sharename. Of course, you have to make sure that you adjust the share permissions and NTFS security accordingly.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2011 1:37pm

Hello, as JM mentioned \\SERVERNAME\$I is wrong please change it to \\SERVERNAME\I$. Self created shares should not be the drive itself, normally you create them with a shared foldername \\SERVERNAME\Folder$, that way the share "Folder" is hidden. Additional you have the admin shares that are created for each disk/drive that is connected to the machine like c$, d$, etc.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 7th, 2011 7:17pm

Hello Ryan, I completly agree with Meinolf. For better understanding of share folders you can check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727040.aspx
January 8th, 2011 3:17am

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Could you discuss in detail how did you solve this issue yourself ? Based on my knowledge , append a dollar sign to the end of the share name will only prevent other users who do not know the name or UNC path of this folder and keep it safe You may refer to the explanation in paragraph “Administrative Shared Folders” of the article that MYousufAli posted Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 10th, 2011 12:18am

Hi , If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 11th, 2011 5:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics