DfsrPrivate Folder and Offline Files (Sync Center)
Hello I hope this hasn't been answered before; I couldn't find it anywhere. We are setup with two branch offices and a main office. All servers are Windows 2008 R2. The branch offices are both managed by a director in the main office, who also manages several other "offices". We have a shared folder for all these "offices", including the branch offices. We are using DFS to replicate a specific folder within the shared folder to each of the branch offices. (So "\\fileserver\Department\Branch Office One"gets synced to one office, "Branch Office Two" gets synced to another) I have set up the director with a Windows 7 laptop, and would like him to have offline access to the shared folder "\\fileserver\Department". During the initial sync and then following, Sync Center throws errors because it does not have access to the DfsrPrivate folders under "\\fileserver\Department\Branch Office One" and "Two". The Sync then appears to have "failed." The details description is "Access Denied." I can't figure out a way to have them not replicate. I can not go into the properties of the folder and uncheck the "Offline Access" checkbox because the user does not have permission to view the properties of that folder. Please Advise. Thanks. Sam
June 23rd, 2010 12:36am

Hi Sam, Are you using a domain account on the Windows 7 laptop to setup the Offline Files? By default, there is no permission for a general domain user on the DfsrPrivate folder. Thus it is not an issue by a designed setting. You can go to Manage Offline Files (input Offline as keyword in Start --- Search box), click View your offline files, go to the \\fileserver\Department folder, right click on it, choose Delete Offline Copy. Then get into the \\fileserver\Department folder, right click on all files and folders except all DfsrPrivate folders (there will be several DfsrPrivate folders in each DFS-R folders) as a workaround. Or you can contact your domain admin to add your domain account to permission list if it is available.Shaon Shan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2010 9:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics