Device manager missing instance name
The device manager on one of my servers is missing the instance name (which is always the computer name). I can't find any information searching how to fix this. I tried changing the computer name thinking that would fix it, but it still is blank. Anyone have any idea's how to fix this?
December 11th, 2010 9:22pm

Hi, Are you running Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008? Does this issue occur in Safe Mode? I suggest logging on an administrator account to check the result. If the issue also occurs, please change the computer name and restart the computer. Will the computer name appear? If the issue persists, please send me the System Information for further research. 1. Click Start, (click Run), type in "MSINFO32" and press Enter to start System Information. 2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click File, and click Save to save it as an NFO file, such as system.nfo. Please upload the file to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=9b3bda56-17f0-44f7-be85-9a0dec7fb7c0 Password: fs+wJx9%X[2k Tim Quan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 12th, 2010 11:43pm

I actually called partner support when i got into work monday morning and it eventually got fixed. After a hot fix to the host hyper server and dropping it from the domain it came back. Very odd problem because i tried on sunday multiple times dropping it from the domain and it never came back. Thanks for the reply and trying to help i appreciate it.
December 14th, 2010 10:54am

I am glad to hear this issue has been resolved.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 15th, 2010 1:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics