Desktop Window Manager Monitoring - Video Memory Degradation
I have already done a search of the forums and am still confused about the comments. My machine is getting an event 500 for the desktop window manager. The only *fix* I could find on this was to reduce the video overhead by removing aero and what not. But there was also a comment to extend the RAM. Translated into English, what does extend the RAM mean? Is it something about the system RAM? Is it RAM on the video card? Can you set aside more regular RAM for video? And just for the sake of mentioning it, one of the places that I looked up about how to turn off aero stated quite frankly that aero was not going to change response but did give the instructions on how to turn it off. Sounds like a bit of disagreement between techs about what will and what will not effect resources.Richard
April 18th, 2009 5:52pm

they are referring to shared video memory on your system / shared memory which you need to set it in BIOS .For eg: if your system does not have a graphics card your RAM should be shared, when you do this the RAM is shared between CPU and graphics chipset.But some computers have the shared memory functionality inbuilt which you need to check from your server cataloguebelow are the steps to check and modify your shared memoryStep #1When you start up your computer, you will need to enter BIOS setup by either hitting the Delete key, Num Lock, F8, F10, or F12. This function differs between different brands of computers. Step #2Once you have entered your BIOS setup, you will need to go the Integrated Peripherals menu. In this menu, you will need to select the AGP aperture size option. Step #3With this option selected, you can allocate the amount of shared video memory. Depending on your computer, you may allocate anywhere from 8 megabytes to 64 megabytes of RAM. On a newer computer, you may even be able to allocate up to 128 megabytes of video memory. Step #4Once you have allocated the desired amount of shared video memory, save your changes and exit the BIOS setup. sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 19th, 2009 2:22pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics