Desktop Wallpaper GPO not working on all users or computers

Hi, I inherited an AD OS WServer2008 r2 Standard, clients are W7 Pro. There's already a GPO for Desktop Wallpaper in place but I noticed that it has not been applying on new computers joined to the domain. I made sure that this GPO is applied to the Domain Computers container. The actual GPO has Authenticated Users (read), Domain Computers (read), Domain Users (read) on Security Filtering. I also noticed that when I log on to other PC that I see the wallpaper but not on other PC, so it is definitely a computer specific issue and not user account issue.

or do I need to remove Domain Computers from Security Filtering as it might be conflicting with the GPO applying to Authenticated Users?

Any thoughts?

• Edited by SPARTAGA Wednesday, June 24, 2015 9:53 PM
June 24th, 2015 9:35pm

> when I log on to other PC that I see the wallpaper but not on other PC, > so it is definitely a computer specific issue and not user account issue.   How many DCs do you have? And on a non working computer, what's the result of "gpupdate" on a command line?  
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2015 9:01am

Thank you for your response Martin.

we have 5 DCs, 1 for each subnet. On my own PC where the GPO is not working, I ran "gpupdate" with this result:

Updating Policy...

User policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encount
ered:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\DomainName\SysVol\DomainName\Policies\{09BC1802-E96D-43CB-8EE1
-90CF9C8C9C7B}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Po
licy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be
 transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:
a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.
b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller
 has not replicated to the current domain controller).
c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.
Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were enc
ountered:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\DomainName\SysVol\DomainName\Policies\{09BC1802-E96D-43CB-8EE1
-90CF9C8C9C7B}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Po
licy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be
 transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:
a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.
b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller
 has not replicated to the current domain controller).
c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

To diagnose the failure, review the event log or run GPRESULT /H GPReport.html f
rom the command line to access information about Group Policy results.

June 25th, 2015 8:23pm

> The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the > file \\DomainName\SysVol\DomainName\Policies\{09BC1802-E96D-43CB-8EE1 > -90CF9C8C9C7B}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful.   Then it's time to repair sysvol replication.  
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2015 3:37am

I believe that would be the ultimate solution but since I found out only 3 PC were affected I will just do a local regedit to force this policy. Also only wallpaper GPO is affected. If a lot of my GPOs are affected I will go that route as a last recourse. Right now creating local registry entries will be a less risky approach as compared to Domain-wide sysvol repair.

Thanks Martin

June 26th, 2015 6:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics