Design Pattern for holding back Subscriptions when ETL hasn't completed

I'm working on an application that allows users to set up scheduled time based reports. Each scheduled report creates a SQL Agent job associated with a schedule.The default time to fire these off is 8:00 AM. There are several hundred. They run off a Kimball DWH and it has no trouble running hundreds of reports all fired off at the same time.

There are several ETL processes and occasionally they don't complete before our verbal SLA of 8:00 AM.

My problem is on days where the ETL runs past 8:00 AM I wan't to hold these scheduled jobs from firing off.

I have a klunky solution but was wondering if there are any best practices around this and what people's opinions are on the matter.

Best Regards

June 19th, 2015 6:11pm

Not very clear. :(
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2015 12:48pm

Unfortunately, there is no real way to handle what you describe.

What we do is use a unique account for SSRS to connect to the database.  When the ETL is running, we disable the SSRS account, when it is finished, we enable it.    This causes the scheduled reports to fail when the ETL fails, or runs long.   Then you have to rerun the scheduled reports, which failed.  You could create an automation which reruns failed scheduled report Agent jobs, we have not gone that far.

This method protects against someone scheduling a report during your ETL load and getting incomplete or wrong data.

June 22nd, 2015 1:01pm

Thanks for the tips.

What I ended up doing is hijacking the AddEvent stored procedure call.

If the ETL hasn't completed, this sproc directs all subscription events to a new table I created. When the ETL finishes I have a process that trickles the data back into the Event table.

Works very seemlessly.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2015 6:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics