Deploying Printers through GPO to selected users

Hi all,

I have used the deploy feature through GPO on several printers in our staff room and those appear under staff accounts within a selected OU, however I was wondering if it is possible to deploy another printer which is dedicated for a certain section of our school to selected users in this OU rather than everyone.

I have created a security group for the selected staff i want to use the printer and added it to the printer's security settings in print management, however im having no luck with the printer i want to be deployed to appear. I have also linked the GPO to the correct OU, yet it only seems to appear for administrators or anyone that is a domain admin.

Any help would be much appreciated. Should mention that most of our client machines are Windows 8.1 & 7 and Server infrastructure is Windows Server 2012 R2 Data center

Regards,

Hasan

September 11th, 2015 8:41am

As you are using 2012 R2 and Windows 7 8.1 you could use GPO preferences.

Using GPPs you can target a printer against groups or individual users.

User Configuration | Preferences | Control Panel Settings | Printers.

under the Common tab in the new printer dialogue select item-level targeting and you can choose from a multitude of options including a Security Groups.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2015 9:58am

As you are using 2012 R2 and Windows 7 8.1 you could use GPO preferences.

Using GPPs you can target a printer against groups or individual users.

User Configuration | Preferences | Control Panel Settings | Printers.

under the Common tab in the new printer dialogue select item-level targeting and you can choose from a multitude of options including a Security Groups.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Thanks for replying Rob,

Il give it a try and let you know how i get on.

September 11th, 2015 10:40am

I'm having no luck with the item side targeting either. Do i still need to deploy the printer through the same GPO where i have applied the GPP you mentioned as with and without it doesn't seem to work.
September 11th, 2015 1:12pm

I have to admit to maybe slightly confusing things.

When I have used GPPs I have not used the deploy printers option.

I have just mapped a printer using the GPP and targeted it against the users.

Remember to apply the GPO to the OU that has the Users in it and not the computers.

If the item side targeting does not work for you then you could always just use a GPO with just the printer you want assigned in the deploy printers and then delegate the GPO to the security group you created.

Rob

September 14th, 2015 3:58am

Why not create a different printer for deployment to this security group.  The printer will point to the same device that the general population uses but only be deployed to the targeted group.

Check the Print-Service events for errors if the connection is not getting created for non admin users.  If you are not using a Packaged and signed driver, you will need to configure the Point and Print restrictions computer policy to allow the driver on the machine.

September 15th, 2015 1:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics