Demotion of DC failed
Hello, I have a working DC, but my problem is that my old DC, (which crashed a while back) I am trying to do a DCPromo on the old server and I get an error message:"The operation failed because:Managing the network session with servername.domainname.com failedThe network path was not found. If this computer is connected to the network via a RAS connection, ensure that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled for that connection."These two DCs are on the same LAN and no RAS connection. My last option is to do a force demotion on that old server then use theNtdsutil.exe too on a working DC to do a metadata cleanup, would that work too?Has anyone every ran across this problem? Thank you for your help! Sport
June 12th, 2008 1:58am

Hello, There might be lot of reason for this errors. I will list some of them down 1) Check the Network Connectivity between 2 servers.2) Check the Dns settings 3) Check the Network Credentialsand also try to follow the article listed below from Microsofthttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/332199 Syed
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 12th, 2008 9:23am

Hello, Especially, please pay attention to the DNS resolving on the DC. Verify the DNS server connectivity and the DNS settings on the old DC that needs to be demoted. - Can the old DC access the shared folders on another DC? Run "new view servername" on the old DC to verify. - Check whether the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is started or not. For further investigation, could you please search in the "DCPromoUI.log" (in '%systemroot%\debug\' folder ) for errors in that demotion attemption?
June 12th, 2008 10:26am

just do a dcpromo /forceremoval on the dc that won't dcpromo down correctly. Then on a remaining DC follow this kb to remove the removed server from ADhttp://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htmdone.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2008 11:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics