Delprof.exe started deleting recently modified profile?!
Hi, I was about to begin a USMT scanstate.exe on an XP machine. But before I did, as I usually do to save time save time, I ran the following in a script (so I didn't fat-finger it, this is a copy-paste): delprof.exe /I /P /D:90 Without paying much attention, I kept hitting y, enter but then I released that it had started deleting the primary user profile!! I think I managed to cancel out before it deleted any user data except the registry key (I ran an undelete utility on it) but seriously, wtf? The user logged in at least 3 days ago, I have a record of her logging in on the 28th of July (today is the first of Aug). Delprof.exe skipped a couple of profiles that were also logged into recently (today) but not that one. Anyone ran into this before/have any ideas? -NOC
August 2nd, 2011 11:01am

Hi, The delprof.exe utility will delete all local profiles. It will however prompt but i guess as you kept on pressing Y for yes, then its most likely you missed when it prompted for admin account. There is a VB script you can set up to ignore certain users from your delprof.exe session Const LocalDocumentsFolder = "C:\Documents and Settings\" set objFSO = createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(localdocumentsfolder) on error resume next for each fldr in objFolder.SubFolders if not isexception(fldr.name) then objFSO.DeleteFolder fldr.path, True end if next Function isException(byval foldername) select case foldername case "All Users" isException = True case "Default User" isException = True case "LocalService" isException = True case "NetworkService" isException = True case "Administrator" isException = True case Else isException = False End Select End Function Hope this helps! MartinIf you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2011 1:15pm

Thanks for your reply, but it actually left the local "Administrator" profile alone (I was logged in with it), and the profile in question wasn't a local profile, it was a domain profile. Furthermore, the switch " /D:90 " should have ignored the profile in question, as the user logged into it 3 days ago, which is certainly not older than 90 days. I could use your vb-script, or easily specify a specific user profile as an exception, but that will not work on multi-user PCs where i don't know all the users i need to backup, and that is primarily what I am using delprof for. I think this is the first time I've seen it incorrectly determine the profile's last modification date and wanted to delete it. So, unfortunately, despite your appreciated efforts, I am still left without an answer or workaround. -NOC
August 2nd, 2011 2:46pm

Hi, According to the problem description, you have problem on a Windows XP machine. Since this forum is used to discuss the Windows Server related issue, you’d better submit a new question to Windows XP forum which is the best resource for you. Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/threads Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 4th, 2011 4:42am

Sorry about that. I thought I was in XP foums. -Thanks-NOC
August 4th, 2011 12:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics