Dell MP - Does the discovery issue also exist in SCOM 2012?

We use SCOM 2007 R2 CU5, and are having the same problems with the Dell MP that it appears that everyone else has.  Where not all servers are discovered.  I've checked all the usual things;  make sure OMSA is 5.5 or newer - changed the discovery interval from 24 hours to 10 minutes - restarted the WMI service and SCOM service on the effected server.  I still do not get all the servers.  I read somewhere that Dell was pointing the finger at Microsoft for the cause of the problem.

Does this same problem exist in SCOM 2012?

December 6th, 2011 4:36pm

SCOM 2012 is already in RC version...it's too early to say if the problem has been resolved or not. probably DELL will release a new version of MP

S

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 6th, 2011 5:16pm

Ok, thank you.  I didn't realize that 2012 wasn't in final release.  Thanks.
December 6th, 2011 8:14pm

In my experience, once the IPs are added to the Network Discoery Wizard, then if I uninstall OMSA and reinstall it (6.5) and the SCOM agent I have not had a problem with DELL hardware being added to SCOM. Yes, it does take a reboot or two sometimes as well and the un-install and reinstall of the SCOM agent, but eventually they get added.

Windows/SCOM/Dell MP/OMSA....who knows?

John Bradshaw

December 6th, 2011 11:57pm

In my experience, once the IPs are added to the Network Discoery Wizard, then if I uninstall OMSA and reinstall it (6.5) and the SCOM agent I have not had a problem with DELL hardware being added to SCOM. Yes, it does take a reboot or two sometimes as well and the un-install and reinstall of the SCOM agent, but eventually they get added.

Windows/SCOM/Dell MP/OMSA....who knows?

John Bradshaw

What you describe is very similar to what is in a lot of blogs on this subject.  Stop the Health Service (the agent) - rename the Health Service Folder - update OMSA to the latest version - restart the Health Service.

I did that.  It worked for quite a few servers - the ones where OMSA was below 5.5.  But for some it did not work.  So then I tried the next suggestion in the blogs.  Which was to change change the discovery interval from 24 hours to 10 minutes.  And strangely, that not only added some previously undiscovered servers, some that HAD been discovered were no longer discovered.  So I gained no ground, actually I had one less discovered server.

"Who knows?".  I agree. That's why I was wondering about SCOM 2012
December 8th, 2011 1:44pm

I wouldn't be holding my breath for 2012 making vast improvements, just gradual ones.

JB

December 8th, 2011 6:37pm

Hi,

Where is OMSA need to be installed, be it on SCOM management server or the agent managed system.

Regards,

DR

July 14th, 2015 7:39am

OMSA is a Dell agent that you can install on Dell Physical boxes. It has nothing to do with SCOM, unless you use the Dell MP for SCOM.

Cheers,

John Bradshaw

July 14th, 2015 5:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics