Dell/Intel based NIC Teaming intermittent connection issue...
Hi, I just configured an Intel/dell based NIC Teaming on a dell server running windows 2000 advanced server, but network connectivity seems to be intermittent I mean sometimes is up and suddenly comes down and then comes up again... (weirdo... and I can't fugure out how to troubleshoot that)Config details:- Server: Dell PowerEdge 4400- Switch: Dell PowerConnect 5324 (out of the box config)- Two of these: NIC: Intel PRO1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter- One of this: Intel PRO1000 MT PCI Gigabit Server Adapter * Total: 5 NIC's (5 GB bandwidth)- TEAM#0: Intel ProSet sofware, Maximun Bandwith Mode with Jumbo Frames enabled and LACP Dynamic Aggregation Algorithm.Note: All cables are virtually and phisically tested.thanks in advance on any suggestions or advicing...Aldo
November 25th, 2006 1:13am

Hi, I suggest you verify the status on the interfaces in switches and search to any erros (ex. if your siwtches is cisco: sh int . Kd regards,
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 26th, 2006 6:26am

I they show up in the web based manager, but I will search how to check status in the CLI for more detailed information..., note its a dell managed switch...
November 27th, 2006 9:38pm

everything seems to be ok:This is the ouput of CLI: show interfaces status (20,21,22,23 and 24 are teamed)>show interfaces statusFlow Link Back MdixPort Type Duplex Speed Neg ctrl State Pressure Mode........ ............ ...... ..... ........ .... ........... ........ .......g20 1G-Copper Full 1000 Enabled Off Up Disabled Ong21 1G-Combo-C Full 1000 Enabled Off Up Disabled Ong22 1G-Combo-C Full 1000 Enabled Off Up Disabled Ong23 1G-Combo-C Full 1000 Enabled Off Up Disabled Ong24 1G-Combo-C Full 1000 Enabled Off Up Disabled OnAnd this is the "show interfaces counter" ouput:> show interfaces counterPort InOctets InUcastPkts InMcastPkts InBcastPkts---------------- ---------- ----------- ----------- -----------g20 13938366 141220 19198 55g21 2456960 0 19195 0g22 2458597 3 19200 4g23 2459474 4 19225 0g24 1434069786 1144471 19450 5850but the problem is still here
November 28th, 2006 9:51pm

FINALLY: The problem was the switch configuration: I assigned the LACP team to the channel-1, same used as VLAN1(regular switch ports), I just assigned the 5 lacp ports to the channel-2 of the switch and named it as TEAM#0 in order to identify it and it just work now!! the connection is always up and intel PROSET sofware show all interfaces of the team as Active! this is what i did in the dell switch config: interface port-channel 2 description TEAM#0 exit port jumbo-frame interface ethernet g20 channel-group 2 mode auto exit interface ethernet g21 channel-group 2 mode auto exit interface ethernet g22 channel-group 2 mode auto exit interface ethernet g23 channel-group 2 mode auto exit interface ethernet g24 channel-group 2 mode auto exit thanks!!!
November 29th, 2006 9:28pm

sugarferret wrote: FINALLY:The problem was the switch configuration:I assigned the LACP team to the channel-1, same used as VLAN1(regular switch ports), I just assigned the 5 lacp ports to the channel-2 of the switch and named it as TEAM#0 in order to identify it and it just work now!! the connection is always up and intel PROSET sofware show all interfaces of the team as Active! this is what i did in the dell switch config:interface port-channel 2description TEAM#0exitport jumbo-frameinterface ethernet g20channel-group 2 mode autoexitinterface ethernet g21channel-group 2 mode autoexitinterface ethernet g22channel-group 2 mode autoexitinterface ethernet g23channel-group 2 mode autoexitinterface ethernet g24channel-group 2 mode autoexitthanks!!! This looks like a configuration for Ether-channel compatible devices, but NOT for 802.3ad devices! Per defination, LACP SHOULD be attach autmatically the aggregated ports to the virtual 802.3ad Port. How can this be done on a 802.3ad compatible switch only? (in this case a Enterasys DFE Switch)
June 21st, 2007 1:27pm

hi, we have been facing similar problem but we are getting the ip conflict Message every time but no connectivity is disrupted. the important thing to notice in event Log for System we are gettingfollowing message. "The system detected an address conflict for IP address 10.152.0.67 with the system having network hardware address 00:00:0C:07:AC:00. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result." 10.152.0.67 is the Virtual IP of the Microsoft Cluster and the MAC address is of routers HSRP. We are using Broadcom Protocal Suite for Teaming. Can someone please help on Root Cause for the Problem.
April 26th, 2008 6:03pm

Fahad,did you ever receive a response to your question? I am just curious about the effectivness of this forum.thanks
August 26th, 2008 3:05pm

Sailuver, usually MS answers pretty promptly, but what Mr. Khan did here is called topic bashing - t.m. the issue is similar but not the same, therefore no one at MS will answer (my observation over different threads). On the issue though - Broadcom drivers enable proprietary teaming, t.m. that the switch and/or router might not get well with that solution. I have seen cases where everything works OK and as soon as a router is added to the environment, the situation starts looking quite ugly. Anyway a network trace with NMCap or Wireshark would show why is a packet coming back to the interfaces with the MAC address of the router. P.S. I know 2 years is a bit too late on the issue, but as you know search engines will forward people to this reeeealy old thread. Cheers, SV
October 16th, 2010 6:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics