Deleting extended  partitions
Need Advice....We recently bought a Dell windows 2003 server R2.It has a pre-installed OS, with 2 400GB harddisk.The 2 hard disks appears only as a single hard disk with thw following allocation.63 mb for the EISA, 32 mb for the System disk, and the rest 710 almost for the extended partitions.It is a basic partition.Then I bought a 70 GB hard disk where I re-install the OS, and we planned to use the 2 hard disk as data storage working as mirror.The question is how will I able to remove the partitions of the 2 hard disk, and i wanted to see then as two separate 400 gb disk on my disk management console?
March 23rd, 2008 4:48pm

From the way you describe your system, it almost sounds like the system came with a hardware stripe of the two 400 GB drives to create a single 800 GB volume. If this was done at the hardware level with a built in RAID controller, you will need to go into the RAID utility and break the stripe. When the stripe is broken at the hardware level, you will have two individual disks. Use the diskpart utility to format the two volumes. However, it sounds like you also would rather have a mirror set. Using two 400 GB disks would give you a single 400 GB mirrored set. This would be done with the RAID utility, too. If this is not configured with hardware RAID, let us know. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2008 10:55pm

Yes it is stripe, diskpart utility works...thanks a lot
March 24th, 2008 11:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics