Deleting conflicted/deleted folder in DFS

Hello,

My DFS seems to be running correctly on the 3 servers. However, on some of the larger folders (100GB+), there are a very large number of files in the deleted/conflicted folder in the DFSPrivate folder.

Should this be concerning? Can I simply go in there and clear out that folder without harming anything?

August 7th, 2014 4:19pm

Hi,

Files in Conflictanddeleted folder will be deleted automatically so you do not need to manually delete them, and the folder will grow up again after a clear.

By default there are high and low watermarks (60% and 90%) and once it over the 90% of the allowed size, files inside will be deleted.

More information please see Conflict and Deleted folders part in following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782648(v=WS.10).aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 9th, 2014 4:50am

Thanks for the info.

the issue is that as these conflicted/deleted folders grow, it is chewing up space on my disks as well as the backup media.

is there a way to manually delete these instead of waiting for the auto purge to take place?

August 12th, 2014 10:11am

Hi,

Go to DFS management - Replication - <DFS replication group> - Memberships tab, right click on 1 folder and choose Properties- go to Advanced tab and you will see the size settings. Change it to a proper size. 

If there is any issue occurs you can refer to this article for manually clear the folder:

Manually Clearing the ConflictAndDeleted Folder in DFSR

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/10/06/manually-clearing-the-conflictanddeleted-folder-in-dfsr.aspx

August 13th, 2014 6:07am

Hi Shaon,

Thanks for the reply. I reviewed the link and proceed with the procedure in the article.

The command does clear out the conflicted/deleted folders successfully, however, if I delete a file in the parent folder (test.doc) it will then go into the conflicted/deleted folder again.

Is this by design?

Deleting the file does remove it from the folders on the other DFS servers though.

August 13th, 2014 8:16am

Ok, i see what is going on with files being moved into the conflicted/deleted folder.

I have the box checked under the Advanced tab as shown in the link. This makes sense as to why the conflicted/deleted folder grows. Is it recommended to have this box checked on unchecked?

:

August 13th, 2014 8:37am

Hi,

Actually it is recommended as sometimes a required file may be deleted due to replication. In this situation at least deleted data is not immediately removed and we can still recover them from this folder. 

August 14th, 2014 5:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics