Deleting and Importing Custom Management Packs

Quick question. I extended the computer class in the authoring tool to add new fields to the computer form. There have been twenty+ new entries into the Windows Computer configuration item with inputs in the new fields under the "Extension" tab. Now, I wish to add some more fields but do not want to lose the information already added to the customized forms from the console. Currently it is a sealed management pack. What is the best practice to go about this? Do I export the sealed management pack, unseal it using the key, make the necessary changes, and then re-import it?

Thanks for any help, apologies if this is a simpler task than I am leading it on to be

February 4th, 2012 1:44am

You still have the original unsealed management pack you created the sealed mp from? Then it's easy:

• Open the original unsealed management 
  • Increase the version of the management pack
  • Add the properties you want
  • Save the unsealed management pack (keep it safe for the next update)
  • Seal the management pack with the same key you used for the first sealed one
  • Import the new sealed management pack

Sealed management packs can be upgraded by a higher version without any loss of data.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2012 2:37am

Is it safe to use the same key for multiple management packs, or should each management pack have its own individual key pair?

February 8th, 2012 9:25pm

You can use the same key for all of your sealed Management Packs. For example, all of the Microsoft ones have the same public key token.
February 8th, 2012 10:03pm

Dear Andreas,

Dear Rob,

I my case; I have created a new unsealed MP for ConfigItem Class and I imported it into SCSM, but now I want to Seal and Re-import this MP without losing the data, is that possible? If YES, what is the right way to do that??

Many Thanks in Advance

Best Regards

June 27th, 2013 1:21pm

the only way to do this is export data to temp storage (file etc.), remove unsealed, import sealed and import data from temp file
June 28th, 2013 12:01am

Dear Anton,

Thanks for your reply, but kindly would you explain to me how to export the data to temp storage ?

Thanks Again

Best Regards

June 28th, 2013 3:06am

You could use powershell cmdlets, or directly from sql. I dont think there is any "easy" way to do this. The custom properties defined in a MP are all contained in a single table, which is dropped (DROP TABLE) when you delete the MP. In theory you could export this table, delete the MP, import the new sealed MP, and then then import the table. I guess you would need to adjust some references in SQL to make it work. Maybe Anton or Andreas would know how to do it? 
June 28th, 2013 12:43pm

smlets + get-scsmobject + convertto-xml
June 28th, 2013 9:51pm

Dear Anton,

many thanks for your reply, but I could not get the idea :( 

I think I need more explanation :)

one more question: can I export the data from the management pack to CSV file to import it later ? if YES how ?

Thanks and Best Regards

June 30th, 2013 2:06am

Dear Anton Gritsenko (FreemanRU)

I have created a new Unsealed Management Pack for Configuration Item Class and I imported it into SCSM, but now I want to Seal and Re-import this MP without losing the data,
I exported the data from the Management Pack to CSV file to import later.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/03/03/hidden-feature-export-data-to-excel-from-a-view.aspx

the Challenge now is the Relationship between the Configuration Items and the associated Work items (Incidents tickets, Change Requests tickets) will be lost.

Any Suggestions ???

Many Thanks and Best Regards

July 5th, 2013 10:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics