Deleting a certificate using CertMgr.exe
Does anyone know how to delete an SSL Certificateusing the CertMgr application (via command line)when the certificate wasinstalled using the Certificate ImportWizard?I've tried the command:"C:\certmgr.exe" -del -n "(Common Name)" -s -r localMachine root,but this command will only remove the certificate if it was installed using the CertMgr, not the wizard.If this is not possible, is there a way to silently remove the wizard installed certificate?
October 21st, 2008 5:32pm

Rather than certmgr, I would recommend using using certutil -delstore MY "SERIALNO"Certmgr.exe is more for GUI operations.Certutil allows you to do things like silently installing/deleting certsBrian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 22nd, 2008 4:46pm

Thanks for this new utility, Brian. Does this also remove third party certificates? We created our own certificate and when I try to remove using either (dertmgr and certutil), I get a message stating "Certificate can not be found".I ran the command "certutil -viewcert" and it displayed other certificates, but not mine. Same results running "CertMgr -all -s -r localmachine root". I can see the certificate in the utilities if I add it using the Certmgr or Certutil, but not if the certificate was added using the Cert wizard. Is the Cert wizard placing the certifcate in a different location if though it shows in the Trusted root folder of the Certificates dialog box (Internet Explorer -> tools -> "Content" tab-> Certificates -> "Trusted Roots Certification Authorities" tab)?ThanksDoug
November 3rd, 2008 3:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics