Deleted Database by mistake. Is there a way to restore?

I deleted my SQL Database by accident.   I had not yet done any backups within Azure.   Is there any way to have the database restored?   I would pay for a ticket with Microsoft if I there is a way for it to be done.  

I see a couple of years ago Microsoft answered that they couldn't.  Hoping the situation has improved since then!

June 4th, 2014 8:49pm

Azure SQL Database supports recovering deleted databases as long as the service tier is Basic, Standard, or Premium.  What service tier was your database?

You can find more details on a deleted or dropped database at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj650016.aspx

Thanks Guy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 4th, 2014 8:55pm

I had a choice of Web or Business, I chose Business 10 GB max size, US East. 

Thanks for the links.  They sound very promising!  But they say I will see 'Deleted Databases' within the Azure Management Portal.  I don't see that.  

I am nervous that this Web or Business choice is old, and that I won't be able to restore.  But even now, when clicking + to add a database, these are the choices I get.  I actually used SSMS 2014 tasks to move a local DB to Azure, but that was 10 days ago.   I haven't figured out the backups in Azure yet.

Any other suggestions?   

June 4th, 2014 9:18pm

The new tiers are still in preview and you probably have to apply for the New SQL Database tiers preview program in order to create a Basic, Standard or improved Premium tier first. As Guy mentioned, there's an option of recovering your db, considering it runs under any one of these tiers.

However, if you've used either Web or Business and didn't configure automatic backups in the Azure Mgmt portal and neither did a manual backup lately, I'm affraid there's no way to revent the accidental changes.

Sorry for the bad news. Hey, at least you know which tier to choose next ;)

Alex

• Marked as answer by The CodeMikey Wednesday, June 04, 2014 11:48 PM
June 4th, 2014 9:42pm

The new tiers are still in preview and you probably have to apply for the New SQL Database tiers preview program in order to create a Basic, Standard or improved Premium tier first. As Guy mentioned, there's an option of recovering your db, considering it runs under any one of these tiers.

However, if you've used either Web or Business and didn't configure automatic backups in the Azure Mgmt portal and neither did a manual backup lately, I'm affraid there's no way to revent the accidental changes.

Alex

Alex

Thanks - that does explain things.  

I am trying to create it new now - and don't see any of these new tiers.  I read a couple of MSDN sites about the new tiers (ie:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn369873.aspx), but don't see a way to get access to the preview.  

Appreciate the help - even though it seems to be bad timing and bad luck!  

During this whole time, I have been bounced back and forth between MSDN and the Partner Network, as neither one seems able to get my active MSDN account a technical support contract to be able to create a ticket to discuss with Microsoft.  I'm happy to pay, but can't get past the triage desk...

June 4th, 2014 9:51pm

I can't remember the tier it was, but deleted a database accidentally and there is nothing listed in the "DELETED DATABASES" tab.

Is there any manual restore the Azure support staff could do? It was a critical db!

October 10th, 2014 4:09am

What was the end result of this?  Were you able to recover your DB?
March 19th, 2015 9:31am

Hi BethGVinson,

Azure SQL Database supports self service restoring of deleted databases for the Basic, Standard, and Premium service tiers. You can learn more about how to restore a deleted database here: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-restore-deleted-database-tutorial-management-portal/

Hope this helps!

March 19th, 2015 7:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics