Delete the file via mapped drive--no problem; delete via My Documents shortcut--"cannot find the specified file" message but it deletes it anyway
We are redirecting user home folders ("My Documents") to a Windows 2008 server (e.g. \\stor401\it ). When users then delete files via the My Documents shortcut they get the message "cannot delete...cannot find the specified file"; when they click OK on that message the file deletes anyway, contrary to the error message. If I provide them a mapped drive letter to the exact same location (\\stor401\it ) and they drill down to the file via the mapped drive letter then they are able to delete *without* the error message. If I change the My Documents path to reference the mapped drive letter mentioned above and then I drill down to the file via the My Documents shortcut and delete the file then the error condition *returns*. Somehow the system has a problem with deleting the file via the special My Documents shortcut. This behavior is happening on multiple Windows XP clients for multiple users. It does not happen when deleting folders; only files. I've seen references suggesting I change the "noaliasingonfilesystem" registry entry to "0" but that didn't help. Ideas?
July 20th, 2012 10:55am

Hi, This can be a temporary issue, you may restart the computer to check the result.Kalpesh Patel If you find these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be click on the "Vote as helpful" button
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2012 11:15am

Hi, This can be a temporary issue, you may restart the computer to check the result.Kalpesh Patel If you find these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be click on the "Vote as helpful" button
July 20th, 2012 11:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics