Delegation DHCP rights to helpdesks

Hi everyone;

i want to delegate view only rights to helpdesk users. i tried many things but i couldnt make it. for example;

under "active directory sites and services -> services -> NetServices" right click and "delegate control". i delegated rights to a helpdesk user using delegation of control wizard. but it didnt work.

secondly; under "active directory users and computers -> local domain -> Users -> DHCP Users" i added helpdesk user. but it didnt work again. 

But it is working when i add a helpdesk user to the "domain admins" group. 

My DC and DHCP servers running on different virtual machines. i dont know what i am doing wrong. help plzz.

August 28th, 2015 8:26am

Hi,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Do you want to have helpdesk people managing the DHCP servers settings or do you want these to be able to authorize DHCP servers within Active Directory? These are 2 different things and the way to grant the rights is different.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Calin

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 8:32am

helpdesk users will view DHCP on their PC using mmc.exe console. i will delegate to their AD accounts. when user log in to him own PC he will be able to view IP Scopes. that is all
August 28th, 2015 8:43am

i run "netsh dhcp Show server" command on DC and it showed 3 servers. DC1, DC2 and DHCP machines. but Dhcp servers on DC1 and DC2 are not active. i had stopped them when i build a new dhcp server on another virtual machine. is it better to uninstall the dhcp role on DC ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 8:47am

Hi AhmetSabri,

If the DHCP Server service was stopped, it would not respond to DHCP request. But it is still a DHCP server in domain.

If we unauthorize it, then we would not see it in the output of the command. And it would become a stand-alone DHCP server.

If the server would not act as a DHCP server any more, we could remove DHCP role.

For helpdesks to view DHCP, we could use RSAT. Add their accounts to DHCP user group. Install RSAT and open DHCP management console. Then add the DHCP server.

Best Regards,

Leo

August 31st, 2015 2:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics