Delay browsing / saving file from multiple clients to one server
I am not 100% sure this is the best forum for this question but I hope it is the right place. We have a file share server running Server 2008 R2 SP1 that is used by close to 500 users peak. The clients are a mixture of wireless laptops and wired desktops. Many of the wired desktops have a random problem of delays browsing or saving files. These delays almost always show up in office applications predominently. It has been dificult to troubleshoot since the problem isn't consistent in most cases. Today I was able to reproduce it pretty regularly. The delay isn't always the same but is usually 2-5 seconds. Using Office Picture Manager I can get the delay to happen everytime I do Save As. I captured both a Process Monitor and Network Monitor trace during the event. It appears two things are happening during the delay. On the PC the offline files are queried repeatedly and walk up and down the directory structure. On the network to the server there is a repeat of create close happening many times. I am not sure what is happening though? I can provide the traces to anyone who could look at them. Any ideas are appreciated.
September 20th, 2011 2:09pm

Hi Brain, Thanks for posting here. So have you got any error form event viewer , like error 50? or got "Delayed Write Failed" prompt ? And what’s the OS running on affected client side ? Will this issue also occur when do the same things with other file servers that running different OS? It is hard to determine this issue with the information so far, it’ appreciate that if provide more for troubleshooting .Please also patch the current hotfix for file service on Windows Server 2008 R2 host and see if any improvement. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2473205 Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 20th, 2011 11:35pm

No errors on the client side, just the gui delay. All the clients are running Windows 7 SP1 x64. We don't usually use any other file servers, however I will test that. I have all those hotfixes applied as part of normal security patching. As I said I have traces that I can provide that show the issue if those can be used.
September 21st, 2011 1:25pm

Hi Brain, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 26th, 2011 7:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics