Degrading Network Performance Windows2008 Intel Pro/1000 MT
Using Windows 2008 Standard 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 This webserver used to have both a website and a SQL 2008 instance on the same box. Site would often become unresponsive. We then setup a separate server for the database on 2008R2 The issue is communications between the webserver and the database server. This is done over a private LAN. When first started everything is zippy fast but over time performance degrades. After a reboot using Query Analyzer from the web server I can run a query selecting the top 1000 rows of the product table and results will return in less than 1 second. Most often around .4 So let the server run for a while and time of this query slowly creeps up. Also it takes longer to transfer files between the servers over time. Reboot the server and all is good again. I would like to eliminate this issue and browsing around I see a few suggestions. Is this a common issue. This is not an application issue I do not believe since I am testing strictly though query and file transfer. So far the only thing I have done is disable IPv6 on the web server network. Other sugestions I have seen are From a Microsoft Windows Command Line, disable Autotuning as follows from the Windows Command Line: netsh int TCP set global autotuning=disabled From a Microsoft Windows Command Line disable Receive Side Scaling (RSS) as follows: netsh int TCP set global rss=disabled From a Microsoft Windows Command Line disable TCP Chimney Offload as follows: netsh int TCP set global chimney=disabled Disable IPv6 for any network adapters connected to an IPv4 only network. To disable IPv6 perform the following steps: Click Start , Settings , and Network Connections . Right-click the network connection and click Properties . Disable the checkbox next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6)" and click OK . All of these options are enabled by default in Microsoft Windows Server 2008. Note : Ensure that TOE is disabled on the on-board 5709 NIC ports. This is the default setting. ------------------- netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled Are these worthwhile to try? Any other information needed please let me know. Thank you for any suggestions.
November 9th, 2010 1:08pm

Suggestion: New drivers for Intel network adapters ?! I had a lot of problems with a server - Intel mainboard S32xx series, two built in Intel network adapters, originally insttalled drivers from the mainboard OEM DVD. The problems was solved with newer drivers for the network adapters.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 10th, 2010 6:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics