Defragmentation: Values and Risks ???
Hi there, My personal laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad T500, and its main specifications as follows: - Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2). - 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM). - ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 with 256MB. - Windows Server 2008 R2 I have only one single drive (C:), and my main question is, when I right clicked on the drive (C:) -> Properties -> Tools -> Defragmentation.... What is the value of Defragmentation ? does it really help for better performance ? Are you sure that Defragmentation will not cause bad sectors on hard drive ??? I would greatly appreciate your inputs. Thanks for your consideration of my request, and I very much look forward to hearing from you soon !
February 15th, 2011 6:17pm

Defragmentation Locates and consolidates fragmented files on local volumes to improve system performance. It will not create any bad sector on hard disk. Check the below article. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731650(WS.10).aspx Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 15th, 2011 7:21pm

What is the value of Defragmentation ? does it really help for better performance ? Before knowing abt the defragmentation its very imp to know abt the Fragmentation Fragmentation occurs when the operating system cannot or will not allocate enough contiguous space to store a complete file as a unit, but instead puts parts of it in gaps between other files Larger files and greater numbers of files also contribute to fragmentation and consequent performance loss. Defragmentation attempts to alleviate these problems. Are you sure that Defragmentation will not cause bad sectors on hard drive ??? No defragmentation never creates bad sectors instead it tries to recover the data from the bad sectors and allocate the data on some other sectors http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
February 16th, 2011 2:52am

Fragmentation was introduced to address an early problem with the file system where file writes would fail if there was not enough contiguous space to write a particular file. All windows based file systems- FAT-NTFS will definitely fragment, (to prove it you can analyse a brand new disk, immediately after installing windows) Fragmentation keeps building as you delete/write files to disk. Defragmenting will sort your files, giving you faster load times and faster performance. It also protects the hard drive and creates space. If you worry about when to defrag, you may want to look at a fully automatic defragger that works in the back-round, under free space and ideally sorts the problem before fragmentation occurs.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2011 12:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics