Default Hosts file on Windows 2008
I have noticed an extra entry at the end of the hosts file "::1 localhost". With this line I am unable to ping or resolve localhost and it is preventing certain apps from installing. When I remove it I can ping localhost and those apps install correctly. Can someone tell me what that line is for and will be present in the final release?Thanks
October 1st, 2007 10:49pm

Hello gusb, ::1 Localhost is the equivalent to 127.0.0.1 Localhost but using IPv6 protocol format IPv4 127.0.0.1 IPv6 ::1 it seems you have a problem in IPv6 protocol in your TCP/IP configuration which is make computer ot able to translate ::1. so, try tomakesure thatIPv6 is installed.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 2nd, 2007 12:05am

Thanks for the reply. I am not using ip v6 and I am just doing a default installation of windows. Is there something that must be done after installation? Any further details would be appreciated. Thanks
October 2nd, 2007 1:08am

IPv6 is installed by default, and you don't need to configure/install anything. I've the same record in my host file (by default) and I can ping and resolve localhost, maybe you have a problem in the applications.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 2nd, 2007 1:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics