Dedicate Traffic on a NIC (out of two NICS) to a specific Host
I am trying to find any information documented on how to configure a dedicated NIC for SQL Traffic to Backend SQL Cluster. I know it can be done, , but I am trying to find instructions anywhere that actually tell you how to dedicate the traffic on a NIC to a Backend SQL Server/ SQL Cluster. Scenario:Server has 2 NICs (each has Failover). One NIC is fornormal Traffic The second NIC is to be used forcommunications only to a SQL Cluster (will plug into a switch.)How do I dedicate the 2nd to only communicate to the SQl Cluster IP/Name and not the entire network? I would think I could use a ROUTE command to configure this. Any idea how?Thanks David BaurDavid Baur
August 28th, 2009 3:25pm

You can use the route add to add a host route (Netmask: 255.255.255.255) and specify an Interface number. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490991.aspx Using the route print command, you can see a list of interfaces and their number. So if you wanted to route to a host 192.168.1.10 using interface #2, you could add a persistant route with:route -p add 192.168.1.10 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.10 if 2 (assuming both nodes are on the same subnet, otherwise change the gateway to be the next hop router).An alternate option would be to create a private vlan or subnet between the servers used for private server-to-server configuration. This would automatically be routed appropriately if your designated NICs were the only ones assigned with an address on that subnet. This is often used to create seperate backup networks to keep backup traffic off of production network interfaces.www.operatingquadrant.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2009 5:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics