Deavtivated boot partition
Some how one of my developers deactivated my primary partition and now our Domain Controller will not boot. I have absolutely NO idea how he did this. Is it possible to reactive my boot drive (c:). I have a Dell Power Edge 1800, with 3 Hard Drives setup in a RAID 5 with 2 partition (c: and d: drive).Help...
September 28th, 2009 9:08pm

What operating system?-- Regards,Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.Microsoft Certified ProfessionalMicrosoft MVP [Windows]http://www.microsoft.com/protect"Patriot78240" wrote:Some how one of my developers deactivated my primary partition and now our Domain Controller will not boot. I have absolutely NO idea how he did this. ll Power Edge 1800, with 3 Hard Drives setup in a RAID 5 with 2 partition (c: and d: drive).Help...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2009 10:00pm

Windows 2003 Server
September 28th, 2009 10:06pm

Assuming the system partition drive letter was C:\You can start the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the command;fixboot C:to repair/write the boot sector on C:\ and mark the partition as active.To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2003 installation media. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to tion, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator or directory service restore mode password. If you do not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive root, %systemroot% or %windir%If your disk controller isn't recognized you may need to *F6* very early and ystem) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2003 driver for your drive's controller in drive "A"To confirm that this is the problem you might want to try a boot disk first. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2003 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2003 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), and copy Windows 2003 versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the operating system located on the first partition of the primary or first drive (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on.[boot loader]timeout=10default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows[operating systems]ows="Windows 2003 0,1"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows="Windows 2003 0,2"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows="Windows 2003 1,1"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\Windows="Windows 2003 1,2"-- Regards,Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.Microsoft Certified ProfessionalMicrosoft MVP [Windows]http://www.microsoft.com/protect"Patriot78240" wrote in message news:dca50455-f853-47e5-9aa0-6cd1591c4040...Windows 2003 Server
September 28th, 2009 10:24pm

Looks like it somehow got mangled so here it is again.[boot loader]timeout=10default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Windows 2003 0,1"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows="Windows 2003 0,2"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows="Windows 2003 1,1"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\Windows="Windows 2003 1,2"-- Regards,Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.Microsoft Certified ProfessionalMicrosoft MVP [Windows]http://www.microsoft.com/protect
September 28th, 2009 10:27pm

Mangled again! But I think you probably get it.-- Regards,Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.Microsoft Certified ProfessionalMicrosoft MVP [Windows]http://www.microsoft.com/protect
September 28th, 2009 10:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics