Database Mirroring from Windows Azure VM to On-premise Server

Thanks for the reply Marius. So, first thing I need to do is to setup VPN. For this, it should be site-to-site or point-to-site VPN? I don't quite understand these terms used in windows azure.

March 12th, 2014 6:54am

Hello,

Is there any tutorial or step by step guide to implement Database Mirroring from Windows Azure VM to On-premise Server? I couldn't find it. I want to use database from Windows Azure VM as Primary and on-premise database as Mirror.

Thanks

• Edited by tslin306 Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:14 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 12th, 2014 7:42am

Hi,
Once you have established a VPN connection between your Azure network and your on-premises server, there is no particular thing to do but the normal mirroring procedure for SQL Server.

There is one aspect you should have in mind, though, that the mirroring server should be viewed as a distant site (with the corresponding latency).

Thanks,
Marius

March 12th, 2014 12:46pm

Hi,

You can go with either of the two options:

1. Point-to-Site

Point-to-site VPN is currently available in Preview. The content related to this feature is preliminary. If you would like to go with this option follow the URL Configure a Point-to-Site VPN in the Management Portal.

A point-to-site VPN also allows you to create a secure connection to your virtual network. In a point-to-site configuration, the connection is configured individually on each client computer that you want to connect to the virtual network. Point-to-site connections do not require a VPN device. They work by using a VPN client that you install on each client computer. The VPN is established by manually starting the connection from the on-premises client computer. You can also configure the VPN client to automatically restart.

or

2. Site-to-Site

You can link your Windows Azure Virtual Network to an on-premises network by configuring a site-to-site VPN connection. You can use a secure site-to-site VPN connection to create a branch office solution, or whenever you want a secure connection between your on-premises network and your virtual network.

Points to consider

Address space

Supported VPN gateway device

Internet-accessible IP address for your VPN gateway device

Name resolution (DNS) design

Refer to the following link which lists out the Known compatible VPN devices.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj156075.aspx

Minimum OS version from Microsoft is Windows Server 2012 in the On Premise Network, if the other listed VPN devices are not feasible in the network.

Hope the information helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2014 3:25am

Thanks a lot Tracy.
March 13th, 2014 3:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics