Database Export REST API is unclear on operation
I would like to write a C# console application which performs the operations as described in this article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn781282.aspx  to export a SQL database to a storage blob.  The article does not describe what the name of the database backup is to be called, which when performing this operation in the Azure management portal, is a value that can be supplied.  Finally, if I could get an example of how this could actually work as I continually get a 405 error when my C# application attempts to perform the
August 20th, 2015 11:49pm

Here is a sample of how to use Import Export service in C#.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the scenario for which you are using Import/Export? If you are looking for basic backup and recovery, we have backups automatically taken for all Basic, Standard, and Premium databases. These backups can be used for recovering after unintended data modification or deletion. In addition to this, every hour we replicate a backup to a separate region. This is so in the event of a regional disaster you can recover from the 1 hour old backup. 

We have a blog post which discusses when to use the built-in backup and restore and when to use import/export.

Regards,

-Eli

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 10:51am

If you don't mind me asking, what is the scenario for which you are using Import/Export? If you are looking for basic backup and recovery, we have backups automatically taken for all Basic, Standard, and Premium databases. These backups can be used for recovering after unintended data modification or deletion. In addition to this, every hour we replicate a backup to a separate region. This is so in the event of a regional disaster you can recover from the 1 hour old backup. 

We have a blog post which discusses when to use the built-in backup and restore and when to use import/export.

Regards,

-Eli

August 26th, 2015 10:59am

Regards,

-Eli

August 26th, 2015 2:47pm

Regards,

-Eli

Regards,

-Eli

this user has a requirement with a government agency that requires a copy of the entire database be delivered to them on a semi-weekly basis. they have a process that works well in obtaining the local copy and preparing it for delivery, just need to actually get a local copy now from Azure.
August 27th, 2015 8:04pm

In this scenario, you would likely want to leverage out Import/Export service, as it is designed for database migration in and out of Azure. You could leverage the script I linked to earlier. 

I would suggest following the process below:

1. Create a copy of the database you want to export. (This is to guarantee a consistent BACPAC file)
  2. Start the export operation on the database copy. (I'd suggest exporting to storage in the same region of the database to avoid network latency issues)
  3. Delete the copy of the database after the export completes
  4. Download the BACPAC file from the storage account onto your local machine.

Regards,

-Eli

August 28th, 2015 10:52am

In this scenario, you would likely want to leverage out Import/Export service, as it is designed for database migration in and out of Azure. You could leverage the script I linked to earlier. 

1. Create a copy of the database you want to export. (This is to guarantee a consistent BACPAC file)
  2. Start the export operation on the database copy. (I'd suggest exporting to storage in the same region of the database to avoid network latency issues)

Regards,

-Eli

August 28th, 2015 2:50pm

Regards,

-Eli

Regards,

-Eli

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics