Database 'xyz' on server is not currently available - after upgrading v12

Hi,

I am constantly getting every few days  Database 'xyz' on server 'ServerName' is not currently available. Please retry the connection later. If the problem persists, contact customer support, and provide them the session tracing ID of '{2E7B8483-F2C3-4F1F-AA3C-FAE82E121341}'.

I have retry logic aswell, but the database is not available for nearly 5 to 10 minutes, so in that case retry logic is also not useful.

Maximum number of retries (3) exceeded while executing database operations with 'SqlAzureExecutionStrategy'. See inner exception for the most recent failure.

Please let me know whether v12 is ready for production use or not.

I am using s2 database

September 2nd, 2015 10:25pm

Hi Ranga,

Can you please share your retry logic/policy with me? You can find more information about SqlAzureExecutionStrategy here.

You can also learn more about implementing retry logic without Entity Framework here.

Thanks,

Andrea

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 4:13pm

Hi 

I am using EF 6. and SqlAzureExecutionStrategy. please find the retry policy below.

public class EFConfiguration : DbConfiguration
  {
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
            SetExecutionStrategy("System.Data.SqlClient", () => new SqlAzureExecutionStrategy(3, TimeSpan.FromMilliseconds(50)));
        }

September 4th, 2015 3:32pm

Hi Ranga,

We generally recommend 30 seconds between retries, as it typically takes 5 seconds or so to cache.

{
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
            SetExecutionStrategy("System.Data.SqlClient", () => new SqlAzureExecutionStrategy(3, TimeSpan.FromSeconds(30)));
        }
    }

Thanks,

Andrea

September 4th, 2015 5:30pm

Hi Ranga,

We generally recommend 30 seconds between retries, as it typically takes 5 seconds or so to cache.

{
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
            SetExecutionStrategy("System.Data.SqlClient", () => new SqlAzureExecutionStrategy(3, TimeSpan.FromSeconds(30)));
        }
    }

Thanks,

Andrea

September 4th, 2015 5:40pm

Hi Ranga,

{
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
        }
    }

Thanks,

Andrea

September 4th, 2015 9:29pm

Hi Ranga,

We generally recommend a min of 6 seconds between retries (up to 30 seconds) to accommodate error caching associated with connection pooling behavior in ADO.NET. More information here

{
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
            SetExecutionStrategy("System.Data.SqlClient", () => new SqlAzureExecutionStrategy(5, TimeSpan.FromSeconds(6)));
        }
    }

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Ranga,

We generally recommend a min of 6 seconds between retries (up to 30 seconds) to accommodate error caching associated with connection pooling behavior in ADO.NET. More information here

{
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
            SetExecutionStrategy("System.Data.SqlClient", () => new SqlAzureExecutionStrategy(5, TimeSpan.FromSeconds(6)));
        }
    }

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Ranga,

{
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
        }
    }

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Ranga,

{
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
        }
    }

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Ranga,

{
        public EFConfiguration()
        {
        }
    }

Thanks,

Andrea

How can the user wait for 30 secs for a webpage to load. The user expects to load websites in millisecs. 30 sec for retry too long.

Anyway why we are getting database is not available errors for 5 to 10 mins, when upgraded to v12. In v11 i had no issues with azure database.

do you suggest downgrade t

September 5th, 2015 5:23am

Hi Ranga,

Sorry for the confusion. I've updated my previous answer and code sample. I meant "up to 30 seconds", as opposed to "every 30 seconds" between retries. 

To address your downgrade question, it is not possible to downgrade back to v11. Would you be able to email me at andrela at microsoft.com with your database and server names so we can take a look at any issues you've been experiencing?

Thanks,

Andrea

September 8th, 2015 3:31pm

Hi Ranga,

Sorry for the confusion. I've updated my previous answer and code sample. I meant "up to 30 seconds", as opposed to "every 30 seconds" between retries. 

To address your downgrade question, it is not possible to downgrade back to v11. Would you be able to email me at andrela at microsoft.com with your database and server names so we can take a look at any issues you've been experiencing?

Thanks,

Andrea

September 8th, 2015 7:28pm

Hi Ranga,

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Ranga,

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Ranga,

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Ranga,

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Ranga,

Thanks,

Andrea

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics