Data Transfer to SQL Azure using Informatica

Has anyone out there successfully transferred data to SQL Azure using Informatica?

We're currently trying to set this up and receiving 'timeout expired' errors.

Any advice is welcome...

April 15th, 2011 10:49pm

The bottom line is due to the throttling policies that exist with SQL Azure, migration of data to sql azure can cause timeout expired errors due to idle connection or long running queries.

I have not used Informatica. But i had used SQL Azure migration wizard to migrate data. you may also want to try BCP, SSIS for the same.

Following articles may help you:

1) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/sql-azure-connection-management-in-sql-azure.aspx

2) http://blogs.msdn.com/b/appfabriccat/archive/2010/10/28/best-practices-for-handling-transient-conditions-in-sql-azure-client-applications.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2011 2:17pm

I don't think this is a throttling policy, as it never connects successfully to begin with.  We are getting the same error "Timeout Expired", even if we point to a random invalid IP Address.

The driver being used is the one Informatica uses for SQL Server by default... DataDirect 5.2

I should also mention that the Informatica installation is on a Unix server, and we are trying to connect using an odbc.ini file to specify the connection parameters.

April 18th, 2011 8:35pm

Hi Kevin,

SQL Azure supports the following ODBC drivers 

• SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client ODBC driver. SQL Server 2008 Native Client ODBC driver is also supported, but has less functionality.

• SQL Server 2008 Driver for PHP version 1.1 or later.

DataDirect 5.2 is a 3rd party driver. I haven't personally used it, But Logically If you are able to use that to connect to SQL Server 2008 R2, then you should be able to connect to SQL Azure. Please check the DataDirect 5.2 documentation.

Also make sure your Server' IP Address is added to SQL Azure Firewall and make sure you are able to connect from Windows Environment.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 7th, 2011 3:53pm

I am in the process of setting up that tables in my SQL Azure can be updated directly by an external Informatica site hosted at a third party vendor.     Can anyone provide some feedback from like experiences with inbound data from Informatica. Is this reliable, are there any gotchas that you can advise.  Much appreciated

May 29th, 2015 11:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics