Data Protection Manager 2007 - HP Tape Library Issue
How do I get DPM to span multiple tape drives simultaneously while doing backups? Is this even possible?I have DPM 2007 running on Windows Server 2003 (x86) with an HP MSL4048 tape library (SAS version). The library has two drives installed and seen by both Windows and DPM. I noticed today while doing a test backup that it was only using one drive to do the backup.The software we're replacing, HP Data Protector - +o( could do this. The feature was called tape drive "mirroring".Any insight into this? Thanks in advance!
June 18th, 2008 7:23pm

Hello, This forum is mainly for Windows Serve related questions. I recommend you post this issue in the following DPM newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&cat=en_US_c18d9b67-8a4f-493f-99fa-246042fd5824&lang=en&cr=US You are likely to find the answer to your question there as people in DPM newsgroup are more familiar with DPM related issues. By the way, you could also refer to the following System Center Data Protection Manager Community site: Data Protection Manager DPM 2007 | Community http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/dpm/bb737891.aspx Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2008 11:37am

Hi, tape drive mirroring actually replicates a tape, not the feature you are looking for.What you need to do is the following: Add the two drives to the backup specification in DataProtector, fiddle around with the concurrency (multiple streams),and make sure you select multiple folders/items to backup. DataProtector will now have multiple things to backup, and send it to both drives. In general it will NOT help you as the tapedrives are to fast, and the huge amount of small files in an amazing amount of directories will kill performance back to a few MB/s, where you need at least a 20-30MB/s stream of data to keep1 drive streaming. Ronald
August 6th, 2008 8:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics