Data Model won't open

I have created a PowerPivot data model using Excel 2013.  It runs fine on my computer (the one where I built it), but will not open in other computers.  All computers have the same 64 bit version of PowerPivot 2013 and run on Windows 8.

The primary data model table contains about 170,000 rows, 20 raw data columns, 2 calculated columns, 30 calculated fields (measures), and there are also a couple of small linked-back data tables with relationships to the primary table.  The data model takes approximately 5 minutes to refresh using my computer when I click 'Update All' (pertains to linked-back tables) on the PowerPivot ribbon in Excel.  99% of that 5 minutes is spent reading the data.  However the refresh time is not really my concern, as the data model will not open at all on any other computer.

It might be worth mentioning that my data model utilizes the 'stdev.p' function (new to PowerPivot 2013).  However, I would not expect this to matter since all computers I am trying to run on have PowerPivot 2013.
  • Edited by user00568 Friday, January 23, 2015 3:55 PM
January 23rd, 2015 6:49pm

On the other machines, is Power Pivot Addin enabled; by default it's disabled?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 23rd, 2015 7:00pm

Yes it is enabled on the machines I am trying to use it on.  I can open up the PowerPivot manager on these other machines when I open up a brand new workbook, but not when I try to open up this particular workbook's data model.  Also, I am not receiving any error message to indicate that the data model is corrupt; it just won't open but rather the PowerPivot window almost opens but never fully loads the data model.  It never even gets to the point where it begins reading the data or processing.
January 23rd, 2015 8:08pm

Any other ideas for User to try?

Thanks, everyone!

February 4th, 2015 10:15pm

User, are you still looking for the answer?

Thanks!

February 12th, 2015 3:18pm

What I have sometimes found, is that I have closed an Excel workbook with some Power Pivot data, and when I go back in I can not even see the Power Pivot Tab.

I then go into Task Manager and kill all Excel.exe instances that I can see.

I then open the Excel file again, and it opens as normal.

Possibly give that a try.

February 13th, 2015 12:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics