Data Connection to MS-SQL using Windows Auth from untrusted machine

We have an Excel Spreadsheet that uses a Data Connection to a MS-SQL database.  The database server is joined to our domain, and Windows Authentication is enabled.

Here is a sample of the connection string (with revealing info obfuscated):

Description=DataConnection;DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=10.x.y.z;UID=domain_user;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=Microsoft Office 2010;DATABASE=DatabaseName

And the Authentication Settings are set to "Windows Authentication"

This works perfectly fine from a domain-joined / trusted machine.  It doesn't even ask for credentials; it just works flawlessly when I hit Refresh.

It will work from a non-domain / un-trusted workstation, if I use SQL Authentication.  But we are trying to move away from that.

Likewise, it will from a non-domain machine using Windows Authentication if I use "runas" to launch Excel with domain credentials, as follows:

"runas /netonly /user:domain\user %path-to-excel%\excel.exe"

However, using "runas" is a kludge, and our employees will almost certainly have issues... even if I were to create batch files to help automate it.

When launching Excel normally (without using "runas") from a non-domain machine, it gives this error when I hit Refresh:

Upon hitting OK, I have the option to un-check "Use Trusted Connection" and manually enter a user/password.  I put in a valid user that would be able to connect fine from a domain-joined machine, or that worked fine using "runas".  This is the error it gives with that:

At this point, I have not a clue what to do to get Excel to successfully connect with domain credentials from a non-domain machine. 

Ideas?

March 25th, 2015 1:31pm

Hi Sir,

Since this issue is related to SQL data access, I 'll move your thread to the SQL data access forum

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqldataaccess

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

George Zhao
Forum Support

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2015 11:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics