DPM will not protect 2008 Server!!
Hi all.... This is a newthread for the same issue as in this one. I am hoping to get some fresh attention from the MSFT guys on this. I can't imagine that I am the only one having this issue. I have eight brand new fresh installs of 2008 standard serverwithout Hyper-V. They are bare bones, no weird stuff, no AD tweaks...nothing. The only role that has been added is terminal services. The DPM agent will not install as a push from the DPM server. The DPM agent coord service stops with service specific error 110 on the target protected server and error 347 on the DPM server. A local install of the agent on the target server seems to run and complete okay but the DPMRA service fails to start with the same service specific error. I requested the hotfix for KB950082 and installed it on the DPM server so I have the option of installing agent versions 2.0.5820 or 2.0.8037, neither one of which works either locally or remotely on my 2008 servers. They both work on my 2003 servers. I have tried every "how to" I can find on the Internet. I tried the WBEMTEST tool from the DPM server to the 2008 target protected server and it returned all normal results. The DPM server and the account used to install the agents have all been added to the correct security groups and local security policies on the 2008 servers. I even called MSFT support and had them walk me through everything I had already tried and of course it still didn't work. The MSFT support guy put me on hold and never came back to the line. I can't believe MSFT's new coolbackup productthat they tout as being able to protect 2008 servers (see this whitepaper) will not actually protect these 2008 servers. I would understand if the target servers had a bunch of weird 3rd party stuff or had some crazy security tweaks but as I said above they are fresh installs with no 3rd party junk and no weird changes. I really hope this is some stupid thing that I have overlooked but I can't see how it could be. The 2003 servers that DPM can protect (as does a fantastic job I might add) are all on the same network, in the same domain and have all of the same AD policies applied. All I did to get them to work was just push the agent from the DPM server and setup protection groups....just like the docs said. Why is it so painful to get DPM to work on these 2008 servers?? MSFT??
May 16th, 2008 5:15pm

If you go to http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2008/05/02/data-protection-manager-supported-operating-systems.aspxyou will find this statement: Windows 2008 versions require pre-installation of KB950082 Hotfix for Windows Server 2008 support in DPM 2007 this article is not yet public contact Microsoft to receive this hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?RDPATH=dm;en-us;select&target=assistance&c1=509 I agree that the article you reference should have some sort of qualification. I will notify one of the product managers. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 17th, 2008 4:35am

wow! If that article is the definitive answer it sure is in an obsure place. So help me with the order of things: 1) install the 950082 hotfix on the dpm server 2) install the 950082 hotfix agent patch on the target protected 2008 server 3) install the DPM agent version 2.0.8027 on the target protected 2008 server Is that right?? I have already installed KB950082 in the order below: 1) install the 950082 hotfix on the dpm server 2) install the DPM agent version 2.0.8027 on the target protected 2008 server 3) install the 950082 hotfix agent patch on the target protected 2008 server and it did not work any different than anything else I tried.
May 17th, 2008 4:01pm

wow! If that article is the definitive answer it sure is in an obsure place. So help me with the order of things: 1) install the 950082 hotfix on the dpm server 2) install the 950082 hotfix agent patch on the target protected 2008 server 3) install the DPM agent version 2.0.8027 on the target protected 2008 server Is that right?? I have already installed KB950082 in the order below: 1) install the 950082 hotfix on the dpm server 2) install the DPM agent version 2.0.8027 on the target protected 2008 server 3) install the 950082 hotfix agent patch on the target protected 2008 server and it did not work any different than anything else I tried.
May 17th, 2008 4:31pm

Well... I just tried it anyway and the agent hotfix will not install without first having the agent installed for it to actually "fix". Any suggestions?
May 17th, 2008 4:34pm

Hey moderator... This thread is not updating correctly on your servers. The real version is here: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3357984&SiteID=17&mode=1
May 17th, 2008 5:34pm

I just saw that KB951557 is a rollup for DPM 2007 but not yet generally available. I have requested it from MSFT and will post my install results here ASAP!!!
May 18th, 2008 2:20am

I am sorry to say that the rollup associated with KB951557 STILL does not allowthese 2008 servers to be protected by DPM 2007. The DPM agent does not work either as a push install, a local install or by applying the 2.0.8102 msp patch to a 2008 server with the DPM agent already locally installed. All of the behaviors and errors are the same as with agent versions 2.0.5820 or 2.0.8037. Does the 3 strikes rule apply with DPM agents?? Come on MSFT!! Help us out. We are really trying to use your product but you are forcing us to shop somewhere else.
May 18th, 2008 5:04pm

Hey MSFT.... I just talked to a guy who hasDPM 2007 protecting server 2008 in a 2008 native domain usingDPM agent version 2.0.5820. My domain and forestare at a 2003 server functional level. I am sure that the VAST majority of people are going to have this same domain/forest level. Is this presenting an issue with DPM 2007?? Is there some AD structure that needs to change to makeAD ready for DPM 2007 to protect 2008 servers in a 2003 server functional level domain??
May 19th, 2008 3:16am

Hey complexmind, Im protecting an Exchange Server 2007 cluster running on Windows Server 2008 with absolutely no problems. Read about it: http://blog.shijaz.com/2008/05/data-protection-manager-2007-with.html
May 19th, 2008 12:23pm

Awesome... That's tells me that there is something in your environment that is different than mine. Here are the questions I have for you: 1) are you running Hyper-V on the 2008 servers? 2) what version of the DPM agent is running on the 2008 servers? 3) did you push the DPM agents from the DPM server or were they local installs? 4) did you have to make any unusual changes (AD changes, security rights, etc.) to get the DPM agent to run? 5) are the 2008 servers upgrades or fresh installs? 6) are the 2008 servers in a 2008 native domain or in a 2003 domain?
May 19th, 2008 4:24pm

I have gotten quite a bitof feedback from other sources and from what I can tell, no one has a functional DPM Agent on a 2008 server if the server is NOT also aDC. Does anyone have a functioning DPM agent on a 2008 server that is a member server in a 2003 domain??
May 20th, 2008 2:13am

Yes, I have a DPM agent on a 2008 Server Core that is a member server in a 2003 domain and so far it is working like a champ to backup files on the server it is installed on. The only role presently installed on this Windows 2008 Server Core system is Hyper-V RC0.
May 22nd, 2008 6:27am

I am running DPM on a Windows 2003 domain. The DPM agent was pushed from the server. The DPM agent version is the newer of the two in the dropdown box (cant remember the number) The Windows Server 2008 machines is a fresh installation I am not running Hyper-V I did not do any special changes. It worked easily.
May 22nd, 2008 5:27pm

Thanks. Did you install 2008 from a production dvd or did you download the iso and make your own dvd?
May 22nd, 2008 6:27pm

I downloaded the ISO from MVLS. I think it really doesnt matter.
May 22nd, 2008 6:30pm

I don't think it does either. I am just trying to find some pattern that alludes to a consistent difference that might be causing the problem I am seeing. I downloaded an iso too.
May 23rd, 2008 1:30am

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!! The DPM agent will not install remotely or run after a local install on a 2008 serverif the QoS Packet Scheduler is removed from the network interfaces. I did a fresh install of 2008 server and through the process of elimination I found the problem. I see this as a major bug!! I am sure there is no issuewith leaving the QoS PS serviceinstalled but if it were notinstalled I would expect the DPM installer (remote or local) to fail with an error indicating that the QoS PS needs to be installed before DPM will run. Most people that I know will remove or disable unneeded services when setting up a new server. I have no need for the QoS Packet Scheduler on the nics of these servers so I uninstalled it. My 2003 servers that have always worked with DPM do not have the QoS PS service installed. Apparently it is only needed for 2008 servers to function with DPM. I have to believe that someone on the dev team for DPM knew about this issue and simply dropped the ball. For this issue to not be mentioned in the DPM docs or setup in the DPM agent installer as an error or error codeis a terrible oversight. MSFT.... I'll be sending you guys a bill for my time.
May 29th, 2008 9:36pm

Lucky man you are.Put QoS on/off at the LAN board with the same bad result.errorcode 80070643Nor only does not work but also crashes Win Svr 2003 wich is working ok. To bring back Win svr 2003 again only with a complete reboot.Since you apears to bewiser than any folk at Microsoft do you have any other ideas?Thanks
June 30th, 2008 10:30pm

I am having the exact same issue as above. Cannot for the life of me figure out why. I have tried every solution posted so far with no avail. and when the agent DOES install, I have an issue when creating a protection group that it states that access is denied.
March 31st, 2009 5:47pm

It may not be the most elegant solution in the world but at least is working now.-Backup your Exchange mailbox-Shutdown 2008 server-Format 2008 server-Install server 2003 x64-Install Exchange-Restore mailboxes-Install DPM agents-Voil, is working now
March 31st, 2009 6:04pm

I am running Windows Server 2008 Standard as fileserver on Hyper-v and got the error mentioned above.I fixed installing from DPM console and/or local install by totaly stop the windows firewall service, disabling was nog enough.Go to services stop the firewall service (be aware your server may become unreachable, so restart is needed) and disable the service. Its not secure, but it means something on the windows firewall even if its disabled is blocking the agent install.
April 22nd, 2009 11:09pm

You right Elcom :I created a new firewallrule on the Windows Server 2008 STD to protect to remotly install the DPM Agent :Accept all incoming trafficswith all protocols, all programsbetween DPM Server IP addressand the server 2K8 IP adress to protect.I suppose dynamic port is used when DPM try to install the agent. But why agent install failed when you launch it manually on the server to protect ? It can't reach the DPM server ?Regards.leakim
April 23rd, 2009 9:11pm

This may help some of you with DPM issues against Server 2008.http://www.sysadmintales.com/2009/08/20/dpm-agents-not-functioning-on-server-2008-dcs/
September 1st, 2009 4:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics