DNS server reddundancy..
Hi, I am installing a win 2008 network for my college assesment. I got 3 win 2008 machines and one win 7 client machine. I have to make redundant network, so i have to insatall two AD's, two DNS and two dhcp. Now my Domain Controller and Additional Domain Controller are working, but i have a problem that when i plug out the cable of first Domain Controler and DNS server(pc name is- DC1), i am not able to ping the domain name. domain name is- opt.co.nz But when the first server wire is plugged in i can ping the domain name. However i can ping the domain name by adding the pc name of second server(pc name is- DC2) So the situation is i can ping when opt.co.nz when first server is plugged in, but when it is plugged out i can not ping opt.co.nz, however i can ping DC2.opt.co.nz.... Please help me... thanx....
August 2nd, 2010 2:43pm

Check that your DNS records are correct on the second server and that the second DNS server will be used by the client computer as an alternate DNS server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2010 2:50pm

Hello, are all machines registered in the DNS forward/reverse lookup zone with there A and Nameserver record(if DNS server)? Are the machines configured to use the DNS servers both on the NIC? What kind of DNS zones are you using , AD integrated or which version? Are both DC/DNS servers in the same site or different? PING is not a site aware tool.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 2nd, 2010 3:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics