DNS host names disapear on Windows 2008 R2 server
Support, I have had the server running ok for several months. Just recently I just notice that the dns host names are missing. I can ping by IP and get correct name. There are only 2 entries (normally 60) NAME server & state of authority. nothing else. Ive added sub domains and these 2 entries are thier too. Ive stop/restarted. I can add, shows up, but next day do not see anymore. Ive turned off/on scavenging and gotten same result. Rebooting tonight to see if it comes back. Any suggestion? Jerry
July 27th, 2011 5:47pm

Hello, so this server sounds to be DNS server and maybe, you didn't mention, domain controller? If Dc then please describe more detailed your forest/domain setup, amount of DC/DNS servers and how they are located, etc. Also how DNS is configured for the domain.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2011 6:00pm

This is a 2008 R2 domain controller with DNS (1 domian controller, 1 exchange 2010). I had orginally had to upgrade from 2000 to 2003 domain, then migraded from windows 2003 to windows 2008 R2. I also im getting Error code 4013 on the event viewer. This issue just started about a month ago. I also rebooted last night and got the same result. Disabled scavaging. I read somewhere this might cause these symtoms. Let me know.Jerry
July 28th, 2011 10:48am

Hello, please upload the following files: ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt [from each DC/DNS Server] dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:dcname >c:\dcdiag.txt repadmin /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite >c:\repl.txt ["dc* is a place holder for the starting name of the DCs if they all begin the same (if more then one DC exists)] dnslint /ad /s "DCipaddress" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321045) As the output will become large, DON'T post them into the thread, please use Windows Sky Drive (skydrive.live.com) [with open access!] and add the link from it here. Also the /e in dcdiag scans the complete forest, so better run it on COB.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 28th, 2011 5:40pm

Dear Sir, Ive uploaded for your review.http://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=a461efb64c945977&page=browse&resid=A461EFB64C945977!206&type=6&Bsrc=EMSHOO&Bpub=SN.Notifications Thanks,.Jerry
July 28th, 2011 6:13pm

Hello, "The File Replication Service has detected an enabled disk write cache on the drive containing the directory c:\windows\ntfrs\jet on the computer MIA-GEO-GCDC-02. The File Replication Service might not recover when power to the drive is interrupted and critical updates are lost." it seems that write caching is enabled on the DC which is not common, more details in: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/16352eee-6bc6-4858-8642-12b2496d39ee/ Also adprep /rodcprep is not run until now and result in the error message listed under "Starting test: NCSecDesc" How are your DNS zones configured, secure dynamic update?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 29th, 2011 2:18am

Hello, I have 3 different Forward Lookup Zones. All do the same thing. All have "nonsecure and secure" as the Dynamic update. Also, I can ping all server names correctly. Jerry
July 29th, 2011 9:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics