DNS forwarding
Hi is there any way I can set-up the following in Windows Server 2008 R2 DNS for internal clients: All requests for: a.test.comp.com b.test.comp.com c.test.comp.com Go to internal Windows DNS servers And all requests for: d.test.comp.com e.test.comp.com a.comp.com b.comp.com go to external DNS Many thanks!
June 29th, 2012 4:57am

NO. Feature 'view' has only ISC BIND, MS DNS has'nt this feature. If this domains are windows-domains, You can release that schema: 1. Primary DNSes of all zones are windows-based DNSes. 2. ISC BIND (on unix box, or on windows) is Secondary DNS for all Your zones. There, on ISC BIND You confugure the nesseseary views of Your zones: one for internal clients, another - for external. 3. Specify the ISC BIND as DNS-server for the clients.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2012 5:10am

Hi, As far as i have understand you can do it via conditional forwarding Thanks, Swapnil Prajapati
June 29th, 2012 5:48am

This will not work. If you set up a zone test.comp.com in your internal DNS servers, they will answer authoritatively for test.comp.com and for comp.com when queried by your clients. Even if you do not have d.test.comp.com or e.test.comp.com set up as a record in your DNS server, the query will simply fail. I assume that d.test.comp.com, e.test.comp.com, a.comp.com, and b.comp.com are hosts hosted on the Internet. One approach to solve this is to use determine the IP(s) of these hosts using NSLOOKUP, then create identical records in your internal DNS for them. Of course, you then will need to watch for future changes and update your internal DNS accordingly. This is not a pretty solution, but you don't have many options for this.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2012 7:35am

Hi, I agree. You can use conditional forwarder. If your DNS have the root zone comp.com or test.comp.com, the condition forward is not allowed to be created. In this situation, you should delegate the DNS namespace to the zone with same root zone domain. Delegate the DNS Zone for the Windows Server 2003 Domain http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739719(WS.10).aspx Delegating the DNS Domain for the New Regional Domain http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753306(WS.10).aspx Best Regards, AidenAiden Cao TechNet Community Support
July 2nd, 2012 5:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics