DNS forwarder for unspecified queries
I created a domain "google.com" on our DNS server and added the following A records: docs.google.com spreadsheets.google.com sites.google.com in order to get access from China mainland. However I would like to forward the other unspecified queries (*.google.com) to 8.8.8.8 How to do that?
December 28th, 2010 6:23pm

Hi Xie, I believe this is impossible. However You may try the method below to breaking the WALL: Modify HOST file on clients and assign all sub domain of google.com that you want. Configure DNS condition forwarder on your DNS server and redirect all *.google.com DNS query to 8.8.8.8 Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 29th, 2010 5:25am

You can use DNS for this, but you will need to create a sub-domain for each host listed above. Then, configure the server to do forwarding to 8.8.8.8. Also, note that if google updates the records you listed above, you would have to update your zones as well. By creating a zone for each record, your DNS server becomes authoritative for that record. Read more: How to be Authoritative for a Single Host Name in DNS http://www.anitkb.com/2010/08/how-to-be-authoritative-for-single-host.htmlVisit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 29th, 2010 12:39pm

Hi Xie, I believe this is impossible. However You may try the method below to breaking the WALL: Modify HOST file on clients and assign all sub domain of google.com that you want. Configure DNS condition forwarder on your DNS server and redirect all *.google.com DNS query to 8.8.8.8 Yin
December 29th, 2010 1:21pm

Hi JM, I cannot access the link above. I guess it is similar solution as following: Create a zone named docs.google.com, in that zone create one new host, leave the name field blank and give it the IP address you need test.random.com to resolve to. This can solve the problem. But when there are a lot of host to be created, it will be boring. Just wondered if there is any simple way.
December 30th, 2010 9:05am

Your assumption is correct. If you only have a few hosts to do this with, it will work as expected. Unfortunately, I know of no other way to handle a portion of some other organization's zone. The problem is that once you create a zone on your DNS server, it is authoritative for that zone. If the answer is not there, the DNS server will respond with an NXDOMAIN which means that the query could not be resolved. The DNS server NOR the client will attempt to get the answer from anywhere else since an authoritative server responded. So, if you create a zone called google.com, you can add all of the host records you like, but anything outside of what you create will not be resolved by your DNS server.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 30th, 2010 7:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics