DNS failover
Hello, I need to know the background of client (WinXP) behaviour when his primary DNS fails and secondary is up. How many times he tries to contact primary DNS (how long it takes) until start using secondary. What's the timeout? When client is using secondary DNS how often he checks if primary DNS is up again? Where can I specify this values of client bahaviour and what are default values? Tomas
May 16th, 2012 3:14am

Hi Tomas, Thanks for posting here. > I need to know the background of client (WinXP) behaviour when his primary DNS fails and secondary is up. Do you mean the DNS addresses that we assign to client? If so ,answers could be acquired form the explication in the KB article below: DNS Processes and Interactions in How DNS Works http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772774(WS.10).aspx#w2k3tr_dns_how_gaxc Thanks. Tiger LiTiger Li TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 17th, 2012 11:09pm

Thanx. In my scenario DNS client has only one network adapter. So if I understand the article. Client tries to contact primary DNS server 3 times within 6 seconds - each try less than 2 seconds. In this case no answer replyes from primary DNS - DNS service is not running on server but the server is up and running. Is this behaviour simillar as if the server is down ? When (time period) tries DNS server to ask secondary DNS for response? And what will happened if client is querying secondary server and primary goes up? Is client periodically checking if primary server is up? What's the time period? Tomas
May 18th, 2012 6:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics