DNS connection issue-Windows 7 workstation to Windows 2003 Server
0 Sign In to Vote A Windows 7 Professional workstation cannot resolve the name when connecting to a Windows Server 2003. I ran Portqry tool and found an issue with Port 53 and opened this Port in Windows Firewall on the client and Windows Server 2003. However, it still cannot resolve the name and I cannot get the Windows 7 workstation to join the domain. Our DNS server is with the ISP but have enabled DNS on the Windows Server 2003. I can ping the server IP address from the Windows 7 client nslookup does resolve using the FQDN. Any ideas on other settings I need to change/ports I need to open to allow?
October 26th, 2010 8:56pm

You cannot use the DNS service of your ISP if you are running a domain. AD uses the local DNS to find domain resources. Point the workstation to the DC for DNS. You should also modify the local DNS to forward to a public DNS (such as your ISP) so that it can resolve foreigh URLs as well as local names. The client machine should use the local DNS server only. Do not add the ISP DNS address to the workstation, even as a secondary. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 27th, 2010 1:11am

Hi Norman, It’s appreciate that if you can post the network settings here , especially the DNS setting of server and client. please follow what Bill suggested to modify the network settings if you are using ISP DNS server on your client. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 27th, 2010 10:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics