DNS and hosted email
I was asked to look at a problem for a friend's company (public domain name abc.net). It seems that when their internal Windows domain was setup, it was given the same name (abc.net). When this was originally setup, they could not browse to their own web site from their network, so as a workaround, the consultant created an alias in DNS on the windows server that pointed www.abc.net to the actual server name at Network Solutions. That allowed them to see their web site. They recently moved their email to Network Solutions as well and now can not seem to connect to Network Solutions mail servers. My thought was the same thing was going on so I found what network solutions server mail.abc.net was pointing to and created a DNS alias. However, this has not solved the problem. They still can't access their mail servers on network solutions. This is a bit over my head, but I'm thinking there must be a better way to setup DNS in a situation like this. I could really use some instructions on how to do this the right way.
April 4th, 2007 6:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics