DNS Service doesn't start up automaticly Server 2008 R2
When I bootup my Windows Server 2008 R2. The DNS server sevice won't start automaticlly. I have the service set to auto and to retry after 1 minute and to continue to retry. But it still won't start. I can manually start it. I get no errors in the event viewer. The server is going to replace my 2003 ad server. But now it's a backup DC. Waiting to get this resolved before moving the FSMO roles over. I have a 4 port nic with all but one port disabled. I have updated the NIC and bios drivers per HP. Have read alot of post but havn't found any fixes?
October 14th, 2010 7:12pm

As a "quick fix" test, have you tried to uninstall the DNS service and reinstall it? Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 14th, 2010 7:41pm

Yes, I uninstalled DNS. Rebooted the server. Then reinstalled DNS. After rebooting, the DNS service was not running. Rebooted server several more times and the service still won't auto start.
October 19th, 2010 8:37am

Did you check event viewer? any errors ? bdojcinovski
October 19th, 2010 8:40am

errors I get is Event ID 7023 "The DNS service terminated with the following error. The network is not present or not started." error 14550 "The DFS Nmaespace service cannot initialize cross forest trust information on this domain controller, but it will periodically retry the operation. The return code is in the record data."
October 19th, 2010 8:47am

I reapplied all firmware updates and driver for NIC (HP NC375i Intergrated Quad Port Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter). Restarted server several times, the DNS server service still wouldn't autostart. I then set the DNS Server service to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" and it did finally start on it's own. I was able to login to the server, open up "services", and after a couple of refreshes, watched it start. I have rebooted the server a couple times since and with it set on Delayed Start it seems to start on it's own. I don't consider this a fix but it may work for now.
October 19th, 2010 6:35pm

Hello, is the problem still existing? Is that server configured to use only itself as DNS on the NIC? Then starting it will take a long time if AD integrated zones are used.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 7th, 2010 12:42pm

I have the same issues with my server 08 r2 and ended up where you are. If you find a solution please post it.
December 2nd, 2010 7:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics