DNS Server Service and Windows Event Log not Starting
Hi, I am having a problem with my Hyper-V Virtual Machine and any help would be appreciated. Network and Internet are still working fine on my Hyper-V Virtual Server running Windows Server 2008 R2 configured as a Domain Controller. I've noticed that several services that are supposed to start automatically, including several Exchange Server 2010 services, are not running and won't start. These include the Windows Event Log and DNS Server services, which I suspect are the prime cause of the problems. When trying to start DNS Server, I get the following error: Windows Could not start the DNS Server service on Local Computer. Error 1722: The RPC server is unavailable. When trying to start the Windows Event Log, I get the following error: Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Computer. Error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning. I had this problem previously and ended up replacing the Hyper-V VM with an earlier version I had exported previously. I can probably do the same again, but this problem has now recurred and I would like to get to the bottom of it. I am not running snapshots due to previous performance issues. Any help would be appreciated. Kind Regards, Johan Küstner
May 31st, 2011 12:00pm

For sure those two services where the root cause of the problems. I would start from veryfying network connectivity and checking if network card behaves properly. With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2011 12:09pm

Hi Krystian, The server still has network and internet access. Also, it's a virtual machine and doesn't have a physical network card. The MAC address is static. The machine has been running ok till now. Regards, Johan
May 31st, 2011 12:13pm

Hello, if i understand you correct the VM is domain controller and Exchange server? Exchange on DCs is not recommended,even not from Microsoft, doesn't matter which version: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997407(EXCHG.80).aspx http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/08/moving-from-exchange-2000-currently-on-a-windows-2000-domain-controller-to-a-new-exchange-2003-server-on-a-windows-2003-member-server.aspx What i also understand is that you have restore this VM that you have "exported"? How exactly was that done, the ONLY correct way for domain controller backup is a system state backup as minimum or full server backup BUT not a copy from a VM or a snapshot, this results in USN rollback and i assume also problems for Exchange.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
May 31st, 2011 1:53pm

Thanks Meinolf, The virtual machine is being used for development purposes only, which is why everything has been bundled onto one machine. When I first created the virtual machine, I exported it from Hyper-V. Whenit went faulty, I deleted it and then imported the virtual machine that I had previously exported. The virtual machine is the only machine in the domain. Regards, Johan
June 1st, 2011 3:22am

Hi Johan, The errors may be caused by improper DNS settings. Please run ipconfig /all to show the result. Generally, you can refer to the link below to troubleshoot the DNS issue: Troubleshooting DNS Servers http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731991.aspx The following link can also be reference to analyze your issue: Event ID 1000 Source userenv http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1000&eventno=546&source=userenv&phase=1 Value 1722 (Error code 1722) = "The RPC Server is unavailable" - Usually occurs when DNS servers are not configured properly. There is connectivity but not at the service level. One note here, usually it may appear that DNS is set properly but one has to double-check all the aspects of DNS registration/resolution as the problem may not be that obvious. In addition, please collect the following files for further research: dcdiag /v >c:\dcdiag.txt netdiag /v >c:\netdiag.txt For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=f6b9251d-1244-49b4-bbde-76da28d69a6d Password: )oJ3h{MA#w Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Regards, Cecilia Zhou -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 1st, 2011 5:44am

Hi Cecilia, Unfortunately, I have already imported the previously exported virtual machine to replace the faulty virtual machine. However, although I hope that it won't happen again, I suspect the problem will reoccur. If the problem does reoccur, would it be ok for me to use the workspace url to upload the files requested or does the link expire? Regards, Johan
June 1st, 2011 6:41am

Hi Cecilia, Netdiag does not exist on Windows Server 2008 R2. Is there an alternative or should I just run dcdiag? Regards, Johan
June 2nd, 2011 4:00am

Hi Cecilia, I have uploaded the files as requested. Could you please have a look? Regards, Johan
June 2nd, 2011 4:13am

Hi, Here is the dcdiag output: Directory Server Diagnosis Performing initial setup: Trying to find home server... * Verifying that the local machine MyServerName, is a Directory Server. Home Server = MyServerName * Connecting to directory service on server MyServerName. * Identified AD Forest. Collecting AD specific global data * Collecting site info. Calling ldap_search_init_page(hld,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=dev,DC=local,LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE,(objectCategory=ntDSSiteSettings),....... The previous call succeeded Iterating through the sites Looking at base site object: CN=NTDS Site Settings,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=dev,DC=local Getting ISTG and options for the site * Identifying all servers. Calling ldap_search_init_page(hld,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=dev,DC=local,LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE,(objectClass=ntDSDsa),....... The previous call succeeded.... The previous call succeeded Iterating through the list of servers Getting information for the server CN=NTDS Settings,CN=MyServerName,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=dev,DC=local objectGuid obtained InvocationID obtained dnsHostname obtained site info obtained All the info for the server collected * Identifying all NC cross-refs. * Found 1 DC(s). Testing 1 of them. Done gathering initial info. Doing initial required tests Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\MyServerName Starting test: Connectivity * Active Directory LDAP Services Check The host 7e5a53fa-237f-43f2-9982-600409ad3d8f._msdcs.mydomain.dev.local could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc. Got error while checking LDAP and RPC connectivity. Please check your firewall settings. ......................... MyServerName failed test Connectivity Doing primary tests Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\MyServerName Skipping all tests, because server MyServerName is not responding to directory service requests. Test omitted by user request: Advertising Test omitted by user request: CheckSecurityError Test omitted by user request: CutoffServers Test omitted by user request: FrsEvent Test omitted by user request: DFSREvent Test omitted by user request: SysVolCheck Test omitted by user request: KccEvent Test omitted by user request: KnowsOfRoleHolders Test omitted by user request: MachineAccount Test omitted by user request: NCSecDesc Test omitted by user request: NetLogons Test omitted by user request: ObjectsReplicated Test omitted by user request: OutboundSecureChannels Test omitted by user request: Replications Test omitted by user request: RidManager Test omitted by user request: Services Test omitted by user request: SystemLog Test omitted by user request: Topology Test omitted by user request: VerifyEnterpriseReferences Test omitted by user request: VerifyReferences Test omitted by user request: VerifyReplicas Test omitted by user request: DNS Test omitted by user request: DNS Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones Starting test: CheckSDRefDom ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom Starting test: CrossRefValidation ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test CrossRefValidation Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones Starting test: CheckSDRefDom ......................... DomainDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom Starting test: CrossRefValidation ......................... DomainDnsZones passed test CrossRefValidation Running partition tests on : Schema Starting test: CheckSDRefDom ......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom Starting test: CrossRefValidation ......................... Schema passed test CrossRefValidation Running partition tests on : Configuration Starting test: CheckSDRefDom ......................... Configuration passed test CheckSDRefDom Starting test: CrossRefValidation ......................... Configuration passed test CrossRefValidation Running partition tests on : mydomain Starting test: CheckSDRefDom ......................... mydomain passed test CheckSDRefDom Starting test: CrossRefValidation ......................... mydomain passed test CrossRefValidation Running enterprise tests on : mydomain.dev.local Test omitted by user request: DNS Test omitted by user request: DNS Starting test: LocatorCheck GC Name: \\MyServerName.mydomain.dev.local Locator Flags: 0xe00011fd PDC Name: \\MyServerName.mydomain.dev.local Locator Flags: 0xe00011fd Time Server Name: \\MyServerName.mydomain.dev.local Locator Flags: 0xe00011fd Preferred Time Server Name: \\MyServerName.mydomain.dev.local Locator Flags: 0xe00011fd KDC Name: \\MyServerName.mydomain.dev.local Locator Flags: 0xe00011fd ......................... mydomain.dev.local passed test LocatorCheck Starting test: Intersite Skipping site Default-First-Site-Name, this site is outside the scope provided by the command line arguments provided. ......................... mydomain.dev.local passed test Intersite
June 2nd, 2011 4:17am

Hi, Here is the ipconfig output: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MyServerName Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : mydomain.dev.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mydomain.dev.local otherdomain.com Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : otherdomain.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter #2 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A0-01-0A-01-00-01 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10f3:101e:9284:39a3%13(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.50.12(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 June 2011 08:30:22 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 June 2011 08:30:21 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.10.254 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.1.100 DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 278921482 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-01-4C-A4-A0-01-0A-01-00-01 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.1.100 10.101.1.101 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.otherdomain.com: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : otherdomain.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
June 2nd, 2011 4:19am

Hi, Please go to the Network adapter settings, change the Preferred DNS Server as 10.101.50.12. Change the Default Gateway setting to blank. Besides, install the hotfix in the following KB article: FIX: The connectivity test that is run by the Dcdiag.exe tool fails together with error code 0x621 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978387#top If Windows Firewall is on, it is better to turn it off. Regards, Cecilia Zhou -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 3rd, 2011 5:05am

Hi Cecilia, Thanks. I will try the settings and let you know. Regards, Johan.
June 3rd, 2011 6:33am

I have read the output from IPCONFIL /ALL for domain controller (I expect, it is...) and it seems to me, that there are some discrepancies: IPv4 is 10.101.50.12 is preffered IP address. and the DNS settings are 10.101.1.100 10.101.1.101 (Really you have two DNS on your network?) Does this mean, that on the DC is no DNS server? I usually install DNS server on the domain controller. I am curious about the multiple DNS suffixes. Not sure if IPv6 play some role. If it is true, then you have multihomed DC. You said: "It works" But what changes had you done before you have observed such behaviour?)
June 3rd, 2011 7:48am

Hi Cecilia, The IP address is not set statically on the machine but is assigned by a DHCP server in a different domain. Therefore, there is no default gateway setting. I set the preferred DNS server to 10.101.50.12 and validated settings upon change. The Windows Network Diagnostics Troubleshooter then ran and reported that the DNS Server isn't responding. I then restarted the machine. There was no change, except that now the machine has lost Internet connectivity as well. I reverted the setting back to obtaining the DNS server address automatically and Internet access returned. I ran the hotfix and it said that it is not applicable to my computer. I tried disabling and reenabling the firewall to no avail. There is an external firewall on the network of which I have no control. However, the machine had always been working correctly. Do you know why the Windows Event Log service is not starting? Regards, Johan
June 3rd, 2011 8:06am

Hi Milos, The virtual machine is a development machine on Hyper-V running on a laptop sitting on a customer's network of a completely different domain. They use proxy for internet access and can only allow my VM to access the internet without proxy settings by adding the IP to their firewall. To do this, my machine requires a static IP address that their DHCP server assigns to my VM when it is on their network. As I use the VM at home as well, which is a different network, I do not want to statically set the IP address as the DHCP on the hyome router would want to assign a different IP address. I do not want to specify proxy settings to access the internet as the proxy settings would be incorrect when I use the VM on a different network, e.g. at home. I have installed DNS Server on the VM, which is a DC. It is the only machine in the domain anyway. The problem is that suddenly the DNS Server service and Windows Event Log service is not starting at all anymore. I have read a previous post where it was mentioned that potentially, USN rollback could have occurred. Not sure if that would cause the problem as the VM is the only machine in the domain. Regards, Johan
June 3rd, 2011 8:14am

Hello, a DC should never use DHCP addresses, instead configure fixed a ip address. According to the ipconfig: DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.1.100 DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 278921482 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-01-4C-A4-A0-01-0A-01-00-01 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.1.100 10.101.1.101 the DHCP server is the router and also used for DNS, THAT is your main problem. Please remove the 10.101.1.100 as DNS server on the DCs NIC and use ONLY the DCs ip address. So in your case do the following steps: - configure fixed ip on the DC/DNS server - remove the router as DNS server on the NIC and use ONLY the fixed ip address from the server configured before - run ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service - check the forward lookup zones for the changed/corrected records, at least the A and Nameserver record should be listed for the server and of course the complete folder structure should be listed under _msdcs.mydomain.dev.local and mydomain.dev.local - additional make sure that the DC do NOT use the host machine for time sync. Configure it to a not domain device or internet time sourceBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 3rd, 2011 9:09am

Hi Meinolf, The VM is using an Internet time source. I have tried the steps you suggested and still am not able to start the DNS Server service and Windows Event Log service. In addition to this, I have also lost Internet connectivity. Regards, Johan
June 3rd, 2011 4:45pm

Hello, please post an unedited ipconfig with the new settings. To have internet access you have to configure the FORWARDERS in the DNS server properties in the DNS server management console with the ISPs DNS server. That way the domain DNS server will forward all request itself can not resolve to the internet and all machines can access the internet.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 3rd, 2011 5:11pm

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MyServerName Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : mydomain.dev.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mydomain.dev.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter #2 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A0-01-0A-01-00-01 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10f3:101e:9284:39a3%13(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.50.12(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 278921482 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-01-4C-A4-A0-01-0A-01-00-01 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.50.12 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.{9659F169-B2F1-4F66-8C44-7AE7DD29AFBD}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
June 3rd, 2011 5:31pm

Hello Johan There is a cause and the consequence. Nothing would happen in this system without consequences.... It would be very helpful to know the history. OK, we have a very uncommon configutarion that we would like to repair.... I do recommend to set loopback IP address 127.0.0.1 in the DNS settings of DC in the same window, where static IP address, mask and gateway are set. I expect DNS is "sitting" on the DC. (DNS = 127.0.0.1, IP=10.101.50.12, MASK=255.255.0.0, DG= IP of internal router port, or LAN port) DNS configuration is Active Directory Integrated and SecureOnly. I recommend Interfaces only with IPv4 address. You should see TWO Forward Lookup Zones, one is "classical" one and the second is Resource Record one. In this configuration it works with no forwarders if root hints are used, otherwise you should set IP addresses of forwarders and allow the router to pass DNS request on port 53.. There are tests of both zone based on nslookup. Make a full test of AD with dcdiag in verbose mode and show resulte here, pls. If after all the abovementioned changes there is still a problem with starting service(s), then use tools from sysinternals and find the cause (Process Monitor and Explorer (2tools)). I am pretty sure, DNS will start sooner than you need tool. Regards Milos
June 3rd, 2011 10:37pm

Hello, the ipconfig looks ok. As the problems still exist please upload the following files: ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt [from each DC/DNS Server] dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:dcname >c:\dcdiag.txt repadmin /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite >c:\repl.txt ["dc* is a place holder for the starting name of the DCs if they all begin the same (if more then one DC exists)] dnslint /ad /s "DCipaddress" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321045) As the output will become large, DON'T post them into the thread, please use Windows Sky Drive (skydrive.live.com) [with open access!] and add the link from it here. Also the /e in dcdiag scans the complete forest, so better run it on COB.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 5th, 2011 4:14pm

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : W2K8R2VS1 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : kustner.dev.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : kustner.dev.local golfbreaks.com Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : golfbreaks.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A0-01-0A-01-00-01 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5ca9:e398:f019:3818%11(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.50.12(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 June 2011 16:46:12 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 June 2011 16:46:10 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.10.254 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.1.100 DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 245367050 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-79-32-26-A0-01-0A-01-00-01 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.101.1.100 10.101.1.101 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.golfbreaks.com: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : golfbreaks.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Command Line: "dcdiag.exe /v /c /d /e /s:dcname" Directory Server Diagnosis Performing initial setup: * Connecting to directory service on server dcname. Ldap search capabality attribute search failed on server dcname, return value = 81 The host dcname could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc. DcDiag: uncaught exception raised, continuing search Default-First-Site-Name\W2K8R2VS1 DSA Options: IS_GC Site Options: (none) DSA object GUID: a3a640aa-7e9e-4235-9cf4-f18f5298804d DSA invocationID: a3a640aa-7e9e-4235-9cf4-f18f5298804d ==== KCC CONNECTION OBJECTS ============================================ DNSLint Report System Date: Wed Jun 08 16:58:40 2011 Command run: C:\dnslint\dnslint /ad /s 10.101.50.12 Root of Active Directory Forest: kustner.dev.local Active Directory Forest Replication GUIDs Found: DC: W2K8R2VS1 GUID: a3a640aa-7e9e-4235-9cf4-f18f5298804d Total GUIDs found: 1 The following 1 DNS servers were checked for records related to AD forest replication: DNS server: User Specified DNS Server Alias (CNAME) and glue (A) records for forest GUIDs from server: Total number of CNAME records missing on this server: 1 Total number of glue (A) records this server could not find: 0 CNAME records for forest GUIDs missing on server: GUID: a3a640aa-7e9e-4235-9cf4-f18f5298804d._msdcs.kustner.dev.local DC: W2K8R2VS1 Total number of CNAME records found on this server: 0 Notes: Legend: warning, error DNSLint developed by Tim Rains One or more zone files may have expired SOA record data was unavailable and/or missing on one or more DNS servers At least one CNAME record for an AD forest GUID was missing from a DNS server IP Address: 10.101.50.12 UDP port 53 responding to queries: YES TCP port 53 responding to queries: Not tested Answering authoritatively for domain: YES This DNS server may be a root server as it answered authoritatively, but DNS records for the specified domain did not exist on the server. SOA record data from server: Authoritative name server: Unknown Hostmaster: Unknown Zone serial number: Unknown Zone expires in: Unknown Refresh period: Unknown Retry delay: Unknown Default (minimum) TTL: Unknown
June 8th, 2011 12:06pm

Hello, for the next output files please use WINDOWS SKY DRIVE as mentioned before, do NOT post the compete outputs here, this made the thread unreadable. Your DC use the DHCP what is not recommended, on servers use fixed ip addresses. Also the other existing DC/DNS servers ipconfig /all is missing, i mean the 10.101.1.101 and 10.101.1.100. The dcdiag command can not run correct as you did not configure the dcname, which is a placeholder for YOUR DC computer name: dcdiag.exe /v /c /d /e /s:dcnameBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 9th, 2011 3:06am

Hi, Just an update... I believe that the culprit could be a Windows Service I have developed. I have developed a Windows Service in Visual Studio 2010 with a Setup and Deployment Package that uses .NET Framework 4 instead of .NET Framework 4 Client Profile. Every time I build and install this Windows Service, then when I reboot the machine, the DNS Server and Windows Event Log Services no longer start. The Windows Service seems to be the cause because, when I built a new Virtual Machine from scratch with the same specifications and software installed, and then built and installed the Windows Service, the same problem arose after a reboot. Note that the Windows Service writes to the Event Log. I wonder if it is not possible that when Windows starts, that this Windows Service is trying to write to the Event Log before the Windows Event Log Service has even started, resulting in the problem. But this is just a guess. Regards, Johan
June 9th, 2011 9:32am

Hi Meinolf, I cannot give you any information from 10.101.1.100 and 10.101.1.101 as I am not allowed to touch those machines belonging to my client, nor do I have the permissions to do so. I will get the dcdiag as requested. Regards, Johan.
June 9th, 2011 9:35am

Hi Meinolf, You will find all the files here: http://cid-600ba2d9d2fde438.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=600BA2D9D2FDE438!164 Regards, Johan
June 9th, 2011 12:40pm

Hello, W2K8R2VS1 is in another domain then the 2 used DNS servers? You have to use the DNS server from the domain where W2K8R2VS1 belongs to on the NIC. And please reconfigure W2K8R2VS1 to use a fixed ip address instead DHCP. The dcdiag provides lot's of errors because of the wrong DNS setup. So change the ip address to fixed and configure the correct DNS server on the NIC then run on W2K8R2VS1 ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service. After this run dcdiag again and upload the result again. If you need to connect to the other domain then configure DNS zones on each domain and then built a trust between them.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 9th, 2011 3:47pm

Hi, Just an update to let everyone know that this is nowhere near being solved. However, thank you all for your suggestions. My problem lies specifically with the Windows Event Log Service and has nothing to do with the DNS Server Service. Probably, the reason that the DNS Server Service is also not working is that it must somehow be dependant on the Windows Event Log Service. I have verified that the problem indeed lies with the Windows Event Log Service by building three separate virtual machines, one as an AD domain controller, one as an Exchange Server and one as a Windows Server 2008 R2 development machine with Dynamics CRM 2011, VS 2010 SP1 and SQL Server 2008 R2, amongst others. I therefore have the DC and Exchange Server now working completely independantly of each other on separate machines and the DNS Server Service on the DC is completely unaffected. When I compile and build a specific Windows Service that interacts with the Dynamics CRM 2011 API, and then install it, after a restart of the machine, the Windows Event Log Service no longer start with Error 31 being issued when attempting to start it. If I then uninstall the Windows Service, the problem does not go away. Does anybody have a solution? Regards, Johan
June 16th, 2011 10:15am

Hi, I have solved the problem! The issue is that I have used an EventLogHelper class provided by another developer and never first checked to ensure that it is working correctly. The EventLogHelper.WriteEventLogEntry method does not first check to see if the Event Log being written to exists. I have now modified the method using the EventLog.CreateEventSource method to first check to see if the Event Log exists and then create it if it doesn't. If the Custom Windows Service attempts to write to an Event Log that doesn't exist, on startup, the Windows Event Log Service therefore stops working. Regards, Johan
July 4th, 2011 7:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics