DNS Search list
Not sure if I am on the right track with this but some Linux clients are pointing to Windows 2003 DHCP and when they ping a name it fails to resolve. Is there a way for me to populate their IP configuration with DNS suffixes? Anything I can do in DHCP on Windows 2003?
June 5th, 2012 11:56am

Did you assign the option 015 to your clients?Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 5th, 2012 12:04pm

Hello, Open DHCP console and find out any IP addresses are leased to linux client machines or not? If you want to know Ip address details of particular linux client machine use command ifconfig. Also check your network whether you have common network for both linux and windows workstations? Regards, Ravikumar P
June 5th, 2012 12:16pm

Hi! What is the linux distribution? Check in the configuration script (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 for example) the option "search yourcomain.local" are correctly and if your dhcp daemon (such as dhcpd) are ok. If the windows workstation receive the correct configuration, the linux workstation have to correct too because is the protocol who control these options. If in your scenary exist a primary domain, complete with the name of the linux machine, in script (/etc/hostname or /etc/sysconfig/network for example). You can also check the DHCP release console on DHCP Server if everything is ok. If the answer was helpful, please mark as closed. Maurcio A. Sasia System and Network Administrator mauriciosasia.wordpress.com Microsoft MCSA|MCP(2x)|MCDST|MCTS(2x)|MCITP(3x) ITIL Foundation Certified v3 Novell CLA|DCTS Linux LPIC-1 Trend Micro TCSE|TCSP|TFC
June 5th, 2012 1:55pm

I assigned 015 to clients but when they search, only one dns suffix is used. Yes DHCP leases do show a lot of linux clients as well. I checked the linux configuration and the search lists are more or less hardcoded by scripts for now. My goal is to hand out these suffixes instead of hardcoding them. I enabled 119 DHCP option and hope that works
June 5th, 2012 2:42pm

I assigned 015 to clients but when they search, only one dns suffix is used. Yes DHCP leases do show a lot of linux clients as well. I checked the linux configuration and the search lists are more or less hardcoded by scripts for now. My goal is to hand out these suffixes instead of hardcoding them. I enabled 119 DHCP option and hope that works
June 5th, 2012 2:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics