DNS Problem
I am running MS Windows 2003 Standard Server as my DNS Server/Domain Controler. I have a WEB page that is hosted by a Web Hosting Company. They have moved my web page to a new server, and now the web page can not be reached from inside our network. The web page can be reached from outside of the network with no problems. My network domain is bartells.local and my web page is www.ejbartells.com. I have added my web domain in the DNS forwardlookupzone as a secodary with the new servers ip address. I still can not reach the web page from inside my notwork. I recieve the DNS failure page. If i enter the new ip[ address i can get to the page but not by using the name. If I ping nslook I am returned the old IP address not the new one. I have been unale to find where the old IP address is being stored. There was not a forward lookup zone. Please Help me solve this problem Gary Carlisle
February 8th, 2008 8:49pm

Hi, According to the description, it is found that the Web server couldn't be accessible from the inside network by the FQDN of www.ejbartells.com after its host was moved from the old to the new. You could browse the web server with IP address from internal network. It seems that the root cause exists on the DNS server, which is responsible for the name resolution to the new web server. 1. Please confirm with the Internet Service Provider that the A record of the new web server is updated with the new IP address on the ISP DNS server. 2. Please check on the local DNS server/Domain controller to see if there is a Forwarder on it. The IP address of the forwarder may be the DNS server that store the record of the web server. You may contact the administrator of the Forwarder DNS server to adjust the IP address of the new web server. 3. You may also create a DNS forward lookup zone with the zone name of "ejbartells.com" on your local DNS server, and then add an "A (Host)" record of "WWW" (without quotation marks) in this zone. Please note that the IP address should be identical to the new one. 4. Afterwards, you may clear cache on the local DNS server and the DNS clients, and restart the local DNS service. 5. Then please check whether the web server can be accessible from inside network with FQDN. Hope it helps. David Shen
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 21st, 2008 12:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics