DNS Issue - DMZ Address appears outside network
Hello all, I'm hoping you can give me a place to start looking to solve a problem I am having. I have a DMZ Web Server (about to go live) that is listed in a DMZ DNS (hidden) that pushes out to our ISP (and others). I have been seeing an intermittant issue where Internet users are getting the DMZ address. I have veified that the DMZ DNS servers have a host (external address) and an alias for www pointing to the host. Any ideas where the internal DMZ address might be propogating out from? Thanks.
July 15th, 2011 11:43am

You'll need to provide some clarification... 1) what do you mean by a " DMZ DNS (hidden)"? 2) what do you mean by "pushes out to our ISP (and others). " 3) what do you mean by " intermittant issue where Internet users are getting the DMZ address"... Wouldnt you expect your users to obtain the public DMZ address in the name resolution process? 4) what do you mean by " internal DMZ address might be propogating out from?" Are you saying that what is being resolved on the internet for say www or alias.domain.com is the private IP address of the web server? If that is the case, you simply need to look at the DNS record in the public DNS zone. Does the record show the public or private? I hope that you are not using your internal DNs zones for external name resolution. That would not be a good idea. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 15th, 2011 1:24pm

First let me say I inherited this network. Having said that, here is a full description of the network and the problem: We have a Windows Server hosting a website in a DMZ. This server also has a DNS server used to update our Authoritative DNS servers at the ISP level. The firewall maps the external, routable IP address for the website to the internal DMZ address of the Web server. The DNS server is not known outside our network and is not used by any clients (thus the hidden comment) but is there to propogate information to internal and external DNS servers. When I update DNS on the DMZ DNS server I increment a counter that lets all other concerned DNS servers know that a change has occurred in a zone and that they should update against our DNS server. The intermittent issue is that from outside our network I will occasionally resolve our web site URL to the internal machine IP Address rather than the routable, Internet, IP Address. The question is how an external machine trying to access our Web site can resolve the internal address of the machine considering that the DNS addresses present in the DNS server only mention the external address (IP Address to hostname, www alias to hostname). The point may be moot at this point as we are moving to an external, independant DNS server. But I would still be curious to know how this can happen for future reference. Thanks
July 15th, 2011 3:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics