DNS Issue
I have server 2008 Standard running Exchange 2007. We are having a DNS issue. The Exchange server quit working yesterday, we think its a DNS issue. I can ping anything outside the network and internal via IP, but nothing via DNS. It will not ping its own host name, but will IP. I have replaced the NIC, reset the TCP/IP Stack and Winsock, flushdns, still no luck. I have added the machine name to the host file and tried to ping itself, still will not try to ping. I added www.google.com to the host file to test. I can pint it via IP but even in the host file, when trying to ping www.google.com it said unable to find host. Any suggestions????
September 17th, 2010 6:00pm

The idea to add google to a host file is quite good. It's weird that it did not work. Is DNS Service running? What happens in NSLOOKUP? Are other protocols working (http, telnet, etc)? Miguel Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support , Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2010 7:48pm

In addition to Falcon's comments, is the DNS client service running? If you have this problem with all your PC's and servers on the network, check your DNS forwarders on your DNS server to make sure your IP addresses are correct. As a test/temporary solution, you can use 4.2.2.1 but it is recommended you use the DNS servers from your ISP.
September 17th, 2010 9:03pm

Can you post unedited ipconfig /all from DNS server, exchange server and client? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
September 17th, 2010 9:47pm

I would check if all services are running with statup type automatic any error in the event logs what happens in safe mode with networking Sven
September 18th, 2010 12:56pm

other clients and servers don't have problems? Are there any errors in the event log? Can you browse www.google.com if you browse to the ip address? And as the others say check if all services are running Regard Ronny
September 18th, 2010 2:37pm

Hi David, Thanks for posting here. First , we’d like to check if DNS client , NetBIOS , workstation and server services are all started on your exchange server and verify event log to check if any domain resolution related events was recorded . Are there any other servers which with same TCP/IP configuration settings also encountered this issue ? Meanwhile, please export and post the TCP/IP configuration settings of this server here by perform “ipconfig /all” . Please check if this server can ping the DNS server computer, and verify that the DNS server is started and able to listen for and respond to client requests. . Troubleshooting DNS clients http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736535(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 19th, 2010 10:43pm

Hi David, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 23rd, 2010 4:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics