DNS Forward Lookup Zones
I have a server/domain that I inhereted from an acquired company that had a Forward Lookup Zone. I then added this server to our forest as a child domain. Now when I look at the DNS info on the Primary domain it displays two Forward Lookup Zones instead of one, the primary domain with the new child domain. Is there a benefit to keeping the Forward Zones this way? If not, should I then delete the forward zone on the Child domain and create a new zone? If so, which zone do I choose? Thanks in advance, Franco
March 8th, 2013 4:45pm

This is like dynamic DNS works. Check if this configuration comply with required functionality. (Not sure if I understand correctly what is the target functionality in your system.) Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 9th, 2013 8:18am

Hi Franco, Would you please let us know what function the origin forward lookup zone is. Is it used to resolve your external websites? I suspect that the server hosted the internal domain of the acquired company. If so, and if the domain name will not be used any longer, you can delete it. However, if the domain is still in production, Im afraid that you cannot remove this zone. More information: Planning DNS Zones http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753643.aspx Namespace planning for DNS http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759036(v=ws.10).aspx DNS Design Options in a Multi-Domain Forest - How to create a Parent-Child DNS Delegation, and How to Configure DNS to create a new Tree in the Forest (Published by Ace Fekay) http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2010/10/01/dns-parent-child-dns-delegation-how-to-create-a-dns-delegation.aspx Hope this helps. Jeremy Wu TechNet Community Support
March 10th, 2013 1:56pm

DNS server is used for Internal resolving. The acquired company domain was added to our forest as a child domain. The reason I wonder if the forward lookup is correct is because we recently added a third domain to the mix. The third domain shows up as a child forward lookup on the main domain. Unlike the second domain that shows up a forward lookup at the same level the main domain is. If having the lookup under the main domain is not nessary then I will leave it as is. I just wondered if some how during the transition from one company to another something was overlooked.
March 10th, 2013 10:35pm

DNS server is used for Internal resolving. The acquired company domain was added to our forest as a child domain. The reason I wonder if the forward lookup is correct is because we recently added a third domain to the mix. The third domain shows up as a child forward lookup on the main domain. Unlike the second domain that shows up as a forward lookup at the same level the main domain is. If having the lookup under the main domain is not necessary then I will leave it as is. I just wondered if some how during the transition from one company to another something was overlooked.
March 11th, 2013 5:33am

Hi FACad, Thanks for your reply. However, would you please let us know the purpose of the subdomain under the root domain folder in DNS. In addition, we cannot add the domain of that company into our domain as a child domain directly. We need to setup the child domain firstly and then perform migration. After migration completes, we can remove the original DNS zone. More information: ADMT Guide: Migrating and Restructuring Active Directory Domains How DNS Works Checklist: Creating a new child domain Hope this helps. Jeremy Wu TechNet Community Support
March 12th, 2013 4:19am

Hi FACad, Thanks for your reply. However, would you please let us know the purpose of the subdomain under the root domain folder in DNS. In addition, we cannot add the domain of that company into our domain as a child domain directly. We need to setup the child domain firstly and then perform migration. After migration completes, we can remove the original DNS zone. More information: ADMT Guide: Migrating and Restructuring Active Directory Domains How DNS Works Checklist: Creating a new child domain Hope this helps. Jeremy Wu TechNet Community Support
March 12th, 2013 11:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics