DNS 5501 warnings
I have inherited a server environment that is still running server 2000 SPk4.  Lately the entire network has been locking up and my switches all light up at once.  I checked and it does not seem that I am experiencing a broadcast storm, nor do I have a loop in the environment.  I checked the DNS records and I have a ton of 5501 DNS warning malformed packet.  I would assume this to be the source of my problem, but how do I fix this problem.  I just need this server to last until the end of the school year when I can start over
November 18th, 2013 3:19pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, please understand that this problem may occur if the zone transfer times out because of the load on the Windows 2000 DNS server that is acting as the primary for the zone. The primary server is not correctly handling canceled zone transfer requests. Therefore, it sends multiple zone transfer messages to the same socket, and the secondary server loads an incomplete copy of the zone. At this time, please try to install this hotfix to see if it could help.

Intermittent name resolution issues and event IDs 5501 and 6524 are logged to the DNS server event log

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330574/en-us

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 20th, 2013 4:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics